Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TTS Mastertune and computer crash - need help  (Read 1709 times)

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
TTS Mastertune and computer crash - need help
« on: October 23, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »

I have been using Mastertune for about 2 years now.  Initially I was using a Toshiba Satellite running Windows XP with a Keyspan USA-19HS USB Serial adapter.  The battery in the Toshiba is only good for about 5 minutes now and I need to do some V-Tune recording, so I switched to an HP laptop, still running XP and using the Keyspan adapter.  Several times while uploading a map to the ECM, the HP would "bluescreen" on me and crash.  I managed to get the map uploaded and then tried to do V-Tune recordings.  Anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes into the data run, the HP would "bluescreen" and crash.
I switched to a Vaio running Vista and again with the Keyspan adapter tried to do V-Tune recordings, and I get the same crash, bluescreen and error message:  "IRQL not less or equal". 
I hooked the Toshiba back up and ran it from the workbench and it continues to work without a problem, even recording data.  I ran Windows updater on both of the problem computers to insure I had the latest software, and loaded and ran the TTS programs with virus protection disabled.  I am also using the latest drivers from Keyspan. 
I suspect the Keyspan adapter is the culprit, but I really have no idea.  I was thinking of buying the TTS adapter, but before I shell out any more money I thought I might check and see if anyone on the board has any suggestions or ideas. 
Any computer whizzes out there with a suggestion?
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: TTS Mastertune and computer crash - need help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 06:12:17 PM »

Sounds like there is a driver conflict with the adapter and the other 2 laptops. For some reason it works on the Toshiba. But the other 2 machines work fine doing everything else without the adapter plugged in correct?? If so...then I am back to it sounds like a driver issue with that particluar adapter. I use my USB to serial adapter for my job and have never had any problems with this model...not expensive so you may want to try this first.

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Serial-Converter-TU-S9-Blue/dp/B0007T27H8/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Hogflash

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »

Definitely sounds like a problem with the USB adapter drivers.  Use device manager to check the driver version on the laptop that works and compare with the ones that do not work.  If different, try to get a copy of the one that works and use that.   If you decide to get a new adapter, I suggest the TTS because they do all their testing with it and support you if you have issues.

--Gary

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »

Definitely sounds like a problem with the USB adapter drivers.  Use device manager to check the driver version on the laptop that works and compare with the ones that do not work.  If different, try to get a copy of the one that works and use that. 

BINGO!  I had to dig out the disk that came with the adapter and loaded the 2003 driver onto the HP.  Worked perfectly!  Thanks Hogflash!
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »

Well, my joy was short-lived.  The driver roll-back seems to have helped in that it takes longer before I get the BSOD, but my HP is still crashing during data runs. 

I ordered the TTS adapter this morning.  If that won't fix it, a new laptop will be next.
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »

The TTS adapter arrived yesterday.  Today I did several data runs of approximately 30 minutes each and the HP computer worked just fine with the TTS adapter.  Saved me having to buy a new computer. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »

Good news !       :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 25 queries.