Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LED Turn Signals  (Read 1391 times)

Skylane

• FLHRSEI.ORG
LED Turn Signals
« on: March 20, 2006, 02:32:10 AM »

Has anyone installed LED turn signals (not Panacea)(front and rear) on their bike? Everything seems ok during testing, but when bike runs after about five minutes rear lighting stars flickering intermittently. Have checked and double checked ground and all connections and installed load equalizers and still having problem. With or without run,turn, brake controller, makes no difference. Thought this was simple installation according to instructions. Turned into a can of worms. Stumpted?

bigmanken

• Junior CVO Member
  • They think I have lost my mind.
Re: LED Turn Signals
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:05:40 AM »

Not going to be much help here, but thought I would share my experience.
I was inspired by the thread on LED rear lighting to improve the same on my haze. One of the improvements was to add cateye LEDs to the sadllebags. The cateyes have the cabability to be wired as brake/running/signal, with the signal being separate of the running/brake.
Cool lights, very bright...but I ran into the same problem. The haze could not handle the signal portion. The tech shop I use, suggested a load equalizer for each light. I decided to use the cateyes for brake/running and not fight the turn signal issue. They are doing an excellent job and the haze finally has bright and very visible tail lights. By the way, we did wire the amber rear turns to function as running/turn, again increasing rear visibility.

Sorry, I don't have a solution [smiley=nixweiss.gif], just thought I would share the experience.

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 06:00:31 PM »

Everything on the back of mine is LED. replaced the stock tail light with the Heavy Cycle unit, replaced the turn signals with a 2 part LED, amber around the outside and red in the middle for turn and stop, and put the 12 LED strip under the tourpak. I also installed a load equalizer. Having said all that I haven't had any probelms. You didn't say what lights you had put on there have been a couple of guys here that have had problems with Kuryakyn lights not working right. Hope you figure it out.

Skylane

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:56:04 PM »

These are the Kuryakyn Lights. Tail light part #4974, front turn signals part #4825, and rear turn signals part #4827. I also put the 12 inch led under tourpak with plug inside tourpak. Tried one load equalizer in main lighting harness first. Did not work right, so I added second load equalizer and seemed to fix problem until bike was running. Appreciate input, but am still a baffled unless I got a bad setup.

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:28:18 PM »

Skylane, I don't know what the fix was for the problem the guys here were having but I'll ask and see if they have a fix.

Skylane

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:55:39 PM »

Thanks 06UTRASE. Appreciate the effort. Have appointment with shop on Thursday if I can't figure it out.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 02:19:30 AM »

Has anyone installed LED turn signals (not Panacea)(front and rear) on their bike? Everything seems ok during testing, but when bike runs after about five minutes rear lighting stars flickering intermittently. Have checked and double checked ground and all connections and installed load equalizers and still having problem. With or without run,turn, brake controller, makes no difference. Thought this was simple installation according to instructions. Turned into a can of worms. Stumpted?

Contact Dave @   www.customdynamics.com

They make the LED's and equalizer's etc. for Kury Aykn my guess is he can help you correct your problem.

Good luck!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 08:44:55 AM »

I'd really like to see your results.

[smiley=worthless.gif]
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »

Skylane-You may want to call or email Kuryakyn with your problem.  They may or may not know the problem before taking to your dealer.

Skylane

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 10:25:08 AM »

Will follow-up with pics when I get it figured out.
Thanks Guys

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 12:52:54 PM »

I bought this same setup for my 03 Heritage Softail Classic.

What can I say it sucks. Lights were very dim, riders following me asked if I had a problem with my brake & tail lights as they couldn't see them. Turn signals operated very slow, Alarm light remained on.
Called Kuryakun for a return authorization & ordered the Panaca lights Front back & brake/turnsignal with new controllers. I couldn't be happier with the new set-up. Everything worked great the first time, lights are very bright. I've had them on 2 years without any problems.

Bad news Kuryakun wouldn't stand behind the old set-up and sent them back to me. I still have the set in a box in the garage.

SanJoseDuke
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.