Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warranty issue if removing 02 sensor?  (Read 859 times)

DOOFUS

Warranty issue if removing 02 sensor?
« on: December 27, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »

I've run into some very creative excuses by dealers when they "want" to find something to deny warranty work.  Has anyone run into an issue after you removed the 02 sensor?  Thnx in advance, DOOFUS

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Warranty issue if removing 02 sensor?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »

Why would you remove it?

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »

Why would you remove it?

Thats a good question... WHY???

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »

I've run into some very creative excuses by dealers when they "want" to find something to deny warranty work.  Has anyone run into an issue after you removed the 02 sensor?  Thnx in advance, DOOFUS
X2 Jim...why do you want to remove them?  I'd recommend leaving them on as all of the aftermarket headers have the bungs to put the O2 sensors in.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:19:22 PM »

Removing or "eliminating" the oxygen sensors is a form of emission system tampering that will void the emission system portion of the warranty.  It is also illegal.  However, it is not necessarily a legitimate reason to void the warranty for any and all failures.  So if your dealer tries to refuse warranty service for a failure not caused by your tampering, it's time to invite him to read some Federal warranty law or consult his attorney before trying to jerk you around.

I would echo the previous posts and ask why you would consider removing the sensors.  Closed loop fuel injection is one of the best things to happen to vehicles in terms of driveability in the past 100 years, when it is set up correctly.  Don't eliminate it, just get the system tuned properly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DOOFUS

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »

Good opinions. I'm leaning toward what I normally do = sert, zipper ac and dyno tuned by my long time tuner. If the 110 stays hot or under performs after that then I'll experiment. Thnx gents.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »

Good opinions. I'm leaning toward what I normally do = sert, zipper ac and dyno tuned by my long time tuner. If the 110 stays hot or under performs after that then I'll experiment. Thnx gents.

Jim,
Two things to consider doing without removing the O2 sensors.  1) Get the air/fuel mixture down from 14.7 to a more sensible 13.7, also, put a set of headers on and get rid of the CAT. You'll find the CAT is going to be one of your biggest heat generators on the right side of the bike.  (It's right there in the collector of the stock headers.)   If you're adding a zipper's A/C to open up the breathing, you don't need to do that as the Ventilator is already a free-flowing A/C.  If you're putting a Zippers on because you like Zippers, that's another story.   ;)  A good tuner will be able to bring that AFR down with no problem, and get getting rid of the CAT will definitely knock a lot of the heat down.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

DOOFUS

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 08:35:10 AM »

Scary how much we think alike!!!!  Thnx !!!!!

Jim,
Two things to consider doing without removing the O2 sensors.  1) Get the air/fuel mixture down from 14.7 to a more sensible 13.7, also, put a set of headers on and get rid of the CAT. You'll find the CAT is going to be one of your biggest heat generators on the right side of the bike.  (It's right there in the collector of the stock headers.)   If you're adding a zipper's A/C to open up the breathing, you don't need to do that as the Ventilator is already a free-flowing A/C.  If you're putting a Zippers on because you like Zippers, that's another story.   ;)  A good tuner will be able to bring that AFR down with no problem, and get getting rid of the CAT will definitely knock a lot of the heat down.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.