Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Powercommander V with autotune  (Read 1556 times)

CR

Powercommander V with autotune
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »

Installed autotune today on my SERK 2008 (european version, with cat and exhaust valve). I had the PCV already but although the bike ran smoother and dyno showed 90 hp topspeed was lower so I concluded that the dynoed power increase was not there in real life and there would be only one way to make sure that the AFR would be OK at all rpm's and that would be a wideband O2 sensor. Installing was promised to be easy but I had some serious difficulty getting the rear sensor in because it is much longer than the narrow band one. I have made a short test-trip of approx 15 miles. Questions that have arisen are:
1. The trims for the table 1 cylinder were substantial richer in the low and mid rpm (up to 25!), and a lot different from the table 2 cylinder (max 15 or so). Is such a difference normal?
2. Should I not have accepted the trims because of the short test-drive?
3. Can I get different trims for different gears and how do I go about it because I do not have a laptop but take out the PCV every time and connect it to my desktop. I do not get the option of assigning different gears?
4. Do I need to leave the O2 terminators on the old narrow band harnass for the event that I have to switch to non-autotune mode with the base map? I removed the front O2 eliminator maybe that results in the strange trims of question 1.or does the wideband sensor overrule the narrow band signal via the diagnose plug?
5. Trims above 3500 did not show anything? Do I need to drive very long at elevated rpm levels to get a reading for high rpm's?
Has anyone got any answers?
BTW bike runs great, hope to get more miles to see what the autotune does for the bike!

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Powercommander V with autotune
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:27:09 PM »

You have to leave the O2 eliminators in, no matter what (auto tune or not). Accept the trims, do you know what your limits for auto tune are? Mine are at 20, so that means it won't adjust over 20, then you need to accept the trims. As far as the difference between cylinders, make sure that both o2 sensors are reading AFR at idle (look at it on the bottom of the PCV screen). 

Keep riding it and checking the trims, once they start changing less, you don't need to accept them anymore, (like I said 20  is where mine are, so anything under it, the pcv should adjust for).

CR

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 03:27:07 AM »

The 25 enrichment is the number with regard to the zero table. The base map already was at 10, so the trim only added 15. I have ordered a new O2 eliminator to put it in. Other questions. How does the Autotune react to the accel enrichment? I plan on leaning the AFR in 5 and 6th gears for cruising (that would mean 14,2 - 20% TO at 1500-2500 rpms and back to 13 at larger TO's ) the accel enrichment would guarantee a good pick-up but at the same time enrich the AFR so much that the autotune compensates? Do I really have to drive at 100% TO and 6000 rpm to get a good trim or should I just rely on the adjustment?

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »

I have a map from Fuel Moto, that I use, then I let the auto tune adjust and accept the trims. My bike runs great, as far as leaning it out in cruise range, fuel moto just adjusts the target AFR leaner in the cruising range, they don't use the gear position to lean the bike out. I have no idea on using that.

Also, on a 08 and newer without a throttle cable, you need to set the throttle position voltage max limit, at fuel moto, they come set with the map. (although I think there would be some variances between bikes) if that is not set correct, the PCV won't work right at full throttle I have heard.

My map is close enough at full throttle 6000 RPM that it runs fine and the auto tune would adjust, if you are way off without a map that is near to what
you need the only way to get that set would be on a dyno, because you couldn't ride it like that to get it set correctly.

CR

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:27:50 AM »

Changed the set-up of my bike. PCV with autotune is still there. Took out the ignition timing a little bit, so less advancement. Installed american pipes without cats (I had european ones) and what a difference! A traffic light race with a KTM 990 Duke ended undecided, the guy's eyes popped out, he couldn't believe this 700lbs SERK was just as fast as his very light and more than 90HP KTM. So the power and torque are there, the sound is a very nice very low burble without getting too loud for longer distances. For people nagging about the technical qualities of PCV autotune. I just read an road test in Das Motorrad about a BMW 1000SS tuned with PCV autotune with more than 200HP at more than 12.000 rpm and an compression ratio of more than 1:12. If the PCV autotune would not be any good that machine would not hold for 10 seconds!

lonewolf55

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 02:46:56 AM »

Changed the set-up of my bike. PCV with autotune is still there. Took out the ignition timing a little bit, so less advancement. Installed american pipes without cats (I had european ones) and what a difference! A traffic light race with a KTM 990 Duke ended undecided, the guy's eyes popped out, he couldn't believe this 700lbs SERK was just as fast as his very light and more than 90HP KTM. So the power and torque are there, the sound is a very nice very low burble without getting too loud for longer distances. For people nagging about the technical qualities of PCV autotune. I just read an road test in Das Motorrad about a BMW 1000SS tuned with PCV autotune with more than 200HP at more than 12.000 rpm and an compression ratio of more than 1:12. If the PCV autotune would not be any good that machine would not hold for 10 seconds!

Don't forget that bike ( if its actually theS1000RR) has a very good base map to begin with. It looks like the PC gives fuel table adjustments only for that bike.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.