Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone use their cigar lighter to power heated clothing?  (Read 797 times)

AZMike

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Rio Red
Does anyone use their cigar lighter to power heated clothing?
« on: December 15, 2010, 05:59:42 PM »

I have a 2011 FLTRUSE and have no use for the cigar lighter installed in the fairing. I asked the dealer if they could swap out the installed socket with a smaller diameter one so I could plug my Gerbing heated gear into it. They told me that the socket could not be used for powering anything else.
What is the amp rating for this plug? Has anyone done this on their own and used it for heated gear or other high draw electrical items?

Thanks

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Does anyone use their cigar lighter to power heated clothing?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »

The socket should be set with a 10a fuse. However, it's a bad idea. If you use the connector from the battery tender, Gerbing has an adaptor that works, so the wiring comes right up your side. Less chance of getting tangled up or the tank scratched up.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member
  • IF IT HAS BOOBS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA B TROUBLE

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
Re: Does anyone use their cigar lighter to power heated clothing?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:06:50 PM »

I added an additional plug to the accessory circuit plug by the battery and mounted it the the top trans cover bolt. It now is controlled by the dash accessory switch and i have my Nano hard wired to the back of the cigarette lighter connectors with out any over load conditions.  I bought the Harley mounting kit for my Zummo which cam with a direct wire from the fuse box and have no fuse problems at all. The lighter socket was bought from Auto Zone (or any other parts store) and i made a mounting bracket from flat aluminum stock and anodized it black. You don't even notice it until i plug into it.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 25 queries.