Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scala systems  (Read 1678 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Scala systems
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »

Local bike shop is having their big parking lot sale this weekend. They are advertising the Scala Team Set Pro for $175 down form $250. Is that a good set up? Is anyone using one? Are there better systems available?

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-teamset#technical

Thanks
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Scala systems
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »

Mark,

I know several folks with this set

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-g4-powerset

And they are all very happy. Scala makes very good products so if the set on sale has the features you want, I am sure you would be happy.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »

I have been using these for about two years, we love them. Bluetooth to the ZUMO, answer the phone, excellent intercom (if using Fullface helmets). I purchased all the stuff to put HD Intercom on my bike over a year ago but never have installed it as the Scala works good. One tip, the mic needs to be very close to your mouth, closer the better for clarity. I paid $180 for ours and if they die tomorrow they were well worth it.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »

Local bike shop is having their big parking lot sale this weekend. They are advertising the Scala Team Set Pro for $175 down form $250. Is that a good set up? Is anyone using one? Are there better systems available?

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-teamset#technical

Thanks

Wife and I sue the Scala Rider MultiSet Q2 and love it.  I'm sure it is very similar if not the same.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:32 PM »

I have been using these for about two years, we love them. Bluetooth to the ZUMO, answer the phone, excellent intercom (if using Fullface helmets). I purchased all the stuff to put HD Intercom on my bike over a year ago but never have installed it as the Scala works good. One tip, the mic needs to be very close to your mouth, closer the better for clarity. I paid $180 for ours and if they die tomorrow they were well worth it.

Can you talk to other riders using other systems?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »

Can you talk to other riders using other systems?

Have not seen that feature on any system if you are talking different manufacturers talking to different manufacturers. I have seen as many as 3 of the Scala units talking together and their website says this:

The scala rider G4 PowerSet also features a unique 4-way Intercom between two bikers and two passengers or 3-way Intercom among three separate bikers. And since several hundred thousand bikers are already using the scala rider G4 Powerset, a new and exciting feature was added to allow for spontaneous intercom connections with any G4 biker within intercom range: Click-to-Link™. No need for advance pairing or any preparation. Just “Click-to-Link” and create your own roadside social network.

I also believe it is Scala that makes the radio equipment for the Schuberth collar.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:01:36 PM by Buy early »

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:54:20 AM »

the Q2 pro is the latest model from Scala but hot their top model. There are several disadvantages compaired to the G4:

first the Q2 needs a dedicated loader, no mini usb like the G4

second Q2 allowes only 3 intercom connections, not 4 as the G4 does

third the Q2 can not be programmed or its firmware updated via usb like the G4

the Q2 is in short the simple version, reliable and rigid but not latest technology. We use the Q2 and are quite happy with it but if I had to buy a new one I would go for the G4.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 01:58:46 AM »

Hopefully they stay connected better than the SENA 10 system. I'm not too impressed with the Sena stuff and interfacing with the Zumo 665. Maybe I just didn't have time to work out all the bugs.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 02:24:22 AM »

some report lost bluetooth connection after extended use of mp3 with the 660 - but the problem is suspected not to be on Scala's side but with the zumo. Your problems with the Sena indicates the same.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »

We had the Q2 and loved them simple . I then ordered the G 4 with the snowmobile mic not the boom. Nothing but trouble never worked right. called tech sup[port 4 times. Finally sent them back for repair. I just received the units back today and I will try again. They replaced both mic and ear pcs. and one of the units So I hope they work.    Charging now  I will try this weekend. and let you know  Paid 349 for a pair at Motorcycle closeouts.com Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 07:06:13 AM »

We use the G4 and it has been great. We do not wear full face helmets and I often ride without the screen. We still get excellent communication and surprisingly little wind noise. Friends have also got the G4 and we have been able to pair all 4 which has been great - apart from all the BSR chatter!!

Range has been pretty good and still functioning at almost 1 mile separation on straight roads, although this reduced down to less than 500 yards when riding through some twisty mountain roads in the French Alps. One BSR system packed up but that was in absolute torrential rain. Manufacturer does not recommend using in such circumstances,  but we did not have the luxury, or time to stop and remove. The unit functioned the next day after drying out overnight.

Would definitely recommend the G4

Magellan  :coolblue:
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde :coolblue:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:51:24 AM »

We use the G4 and it has been great. We do not wear full face helmets and I often ride without the screen. We still get excellent communication and surprisingly little wind noise.

That's good to know. I too ride open face and have been considering a modular just for the reduction in wind. In other words I would ride with the face up all the time (even though helmet manufactureres do not suggest that) and pull it down to speak and talk.

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:56 AM »

I have two screens a short tinted one and a tall one for long distance touring. With the tall screen there is absolutely no wind noise. But with the short screen there is more noise that without any screen! I think the angle of the screen and height (in relation to my mouth) just forces the wind into the mouth-piece.

I don't know if they are available State-side but Roof do a modular helmet (Boxer) that is also designed to be used as an open face.

http://www.roof.fr/products/product.php?id=14

Magellan  :coolblue:

"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde :coolblue:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »

That's good to know. I too ride open face and have been considering a modular just for the reduction in wind. In other words I would ride with the face up all the time (even though helmet manufactureres do not suggest that) and pull it down to speak and talk.

Mark...you might take a look at the Shark Evoline 2 ST helmets.  They seem to be the best of both worlds.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.