Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how many mods can a m and m fuel injection stand??????  (Read 759 times)

go hard

how many mods can a m and m fuel injection stand??????
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »

Hey bros,
 Just wondering on how much modifications I can do with my 01 serg which has the stock m and m fuel injection system. My last scooter (2001 electra glide) had htcc cnc ported heads, matching high compression pistons, se258 cams, 44mm mikuni carb, Dyna TC 88 ignition and D and D fat cat 2 into 1 Exhaust.  I,ve since put the electra glide back to stock but, have all the go fast goodies! The 44mm mikuni I gave to a bud and will be running the existing fuelly. I have heard that the m and m  system can potentially be a pain, anybody take exception to this, sure would like to hear from ya. More or less to sum up my question is can you map this system to be compatable with all these parts???

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: how many mods can a m and m fuel injection stand??????
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:07:24 AM »

You can do a lot with an M&M bike.  Depending on how much you're willing to spend you can do just about anything to it actually.

Even with stock M&M parts you can use a Power Commander or round up the old M&M era race tuner and dial in most changes that are commonly made.  You can cover exhaust and intake and mild to moderate cam changes without much worry.

The Marelli system itself does have some quirks.  Nothing unmanageable.  But definitely different than the perceived regularities of the Delphi bikes.  The relatively small throttle body is a bit of a limitation.  Most of the few upgrade options for a Marelli TB are pretty pricey too.  Gerolamy offers a machine oversize of your OE throttle body that's relatively reasonable though.  So if you need a bigger TB they're worth considering.

TTS has a Marelli version of their tuning software that looks to give you a lot more range and does offer a lot more utility and functionality than does the Power Commander.  If you really want to push things, however, there is another option from Zippers that's at least worth consideration.

I'm not a big Zippers fan.  But for the M&M boys this is at least as far as I'm aware a unique package they've assembled.  They've put their Thundermax ECM in a Marelli form factor enclosure.  Also included in the kit is a Delphi throttle body (available in several size increments) that includes the adapting hardware necessary to make it work with a Marelli type fuel rail.  So you can use supply and return lines from a normal Marelli gas tank.

The kit isn't cheap.  It adds o2 sensors and wide band capability to your Marelli bike as part of what is basically a Marelli to Delphi conversion.  The install isn't terrible and the package seems to work as advertised.  For those of us with Marelli bikes and who see the Marelli parts sooner rather than later being obsoleted something like this has to be a real consideration.

So, to circle the wagons a bit, you can do the more common engine upgrades with the more common tuning devices.  No real worries.  You might or not have to deal with the normal Marelli quirks.  But for anyone familiar with the Marelli systems they honestly aren't bad to work on and are manageable.  It's more people unfamiliarity with them rather than the systems themselves that make the quirks a problem.

If you're really wanting to push an engine upgrade a lot the TTS option might be another intermediate tuning option or you could basically dump the Marelli system completely and go with the Zippers conversion kit.  No matter how much you're wanting to do with the engine there will be ways to manage and tune it though.  So enjoy the bike as you really don't have a ton to worry about.

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 21 queries.