Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gloves for hand problems  (Read 3017 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Gloves for hand problems
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:36 AM »

Anybody know of a good gloves to reduce the hand pain that some of us get.  Sometimes I can ride all day on other days my hands are begging for mercy real quick.  Looking for different sets for different weather conditions.  Right now I use the FXRG lined leather glove but that gets wet from perspiration in no time making it difficult to put back on and off.

Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Gloves for hand problems
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »

A different approach to your question.  But the "right" grips can make a tremendous difference.  Larger diameter grips for larger hands and vice versa to start with.  Also a in a function over form choice (for some) a grip with some pad to it rather than a mostly metal grip can make a huge difference in short order. 

I like the Kurkyakyn ISO grips and have used them for a long time.  I happen to like the look (or have become accustomed to it over the years) but they are comfortable with lots of vibration absorbing pad.  I also like the SAC grips.  They're even larger diameter than the ISO grips though so you want to make sure they're comfortable if you've got a smaller hand.

The larger OD grips can also be a problem for a bike with a hydraulic clutch.  The SAC grips I have seen give problem here.  OD large enough that enough travel is lost to the clutch lever that clutch no longer fully disengages. 

Good grip is an important thing for hand comfort though.  Gloves won't be able to help much if the grips are beating your hands up.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »

The most important variable for me with my broken down arm/hand parts is to consciously keep a loose grip. Makes all the difference in my ability to ride. Everything else is secondary for me. FWIW

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »

I sometimes have the same problem. If you have heated grips , try turning the heat on for a bit, even in the summer. That does the trick for me.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »

Handle bar height, angle, and grip size all play a big part in hand fatigue, but I'm like you, some days I'm ok all day others not. I think my problem comes from carpal tunnel in my wrist. I find that taking a few ibuprofen twice on a full day ride really helps me. Once before we leave and then around noon.

Craig 

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »

consciously keep a loose grip. Makes all the difference in my ability to ride. Everything else is secondary for me

X2  :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »

I concur!

consciously keep a loose grip. Makes all the difference in my ability to ride. Everything else is secondary for me

X2  :2vrolijk_21:
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »

The most important variable for me with my broken down arm/hand parts is to consciously keep a loose grip. Makes all the difference in my ability to ride. Everything else is secondary for me. FWIW

Howie,
Bet that wreaks havoc on your sex life!
 :)

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »

Howie,
and may I salute you sir ....

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »

Howie,
Only when his right hand hurts, he is not ambidextrous.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »

I have been doing exactly what Talon mentioned, finding comfort harder to achieve as I get older.  I just changed the bars to 513's and they are not high enough for me so I will have to change that out again.  Installing Heat Demons is over $300.00 plus I have to have the bars machined to accept the thicker setup for the 08 TBW.  My short stubby fingers would not like the larger diameter grips, so I'm liking the Kury ISO grips.  Can you tell me if there is a big difference between the ISO all black rubber ones and the fancier ones with alternating rubber & chrome? Any thoughts on the optional Boss accessory that is available?  Not sure if it is beneficial or would just get in the way.  

Making a bike confortable is proving to be a very expensive proposition, but well worth it in the long run. (no pun intended)  

I really appreciate the input

Ray G.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »

Can you tell me if there is a big difference between the ISO all black rubber ones and the fancier ones with alternating rubber & chrome? Any thoughts on the optional Boss accessory that is available?  Not sure if it is beneficial or would just get in the way.  

The throttle boss accessory for the ISO groups is superfluous if you've got cruise control.  It's just a way to hold the throttle in a given position by letting your palm rest against it.  I've only used the alternating chrome and rubber ISO grips. Have used them on many bikes for many years though.  The rubber part protrudes enough it is what your hands rests on.  I've always found them to be a very comfortable grip.  Just in case Kury has added options since the last time I had reason to look at the ISO grips the set I'm referring to is this:

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »

I've been using these gloves for the past couple of years.  Once you get your bars/grips set up right, these are the icing on the cake.

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.