Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Standard Air Shock Oil  (Read 1336 times)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Standard Air Shock Oil
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:24:47 AM »

Does anyone know how much oil is in the standard air shock, and what weight oil it is?
I took them off, and one leaked a little oil out. The bike is a 06 CVO Ultra.
The "TAZMUN"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Standard Air Shock Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:13:25 PM »

Does anyone know how much oil is in the standard air shock, and what weight oil it is?
I took them off, and one leaked a little oil out. The bike is a 06 CVO Ultra.

Can't swear to a full height 13" air shock, but my '09 12" SERG air shocks hold 10 oz. 

I drained mine and did a fluid swap out to a racing front fork 10w synthetic oil and it did make a difference and for the two hours it took to drain and refill, I think it was worth it.  I'm still looking at going to an upgraded non-air shock possibly this winter.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »

The 13" shocks hold 12oz if truly empty.  When I drain them & refill them (I pump the fluid out) I measure what comes out.  Typically I get 10.8 to 11.5 oz out of the shock, doesn't matter if it's 12" or 13".

I estimate that the fluid from HD is 3 weight, maybe 5 at the very most.  It is like water.  I use 10w Amsoil Synthetic Shock Therapy fluid when I refill them.

The 10w works very well, much better ride & way less air pressure so the shock can actually work.  I use to run as much as 50psi when we travelled fully loaded, 2up.  Now I never run over 30psi.  In fact this last weekend we were on a trip & the bike was riding rough, I actually had to lower the air to 25psi because the weather was cold, it was in the 40's & the 10 w with the 30 lbs was to much air.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »

Has anyone replaced the air shock oil with a more common fluid, ie. hydraulid fluid, automatic trans fluid, front fork oil, jack oil?  If so, what were the results?

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.