Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dual to Single Brakes??  (Read 2060 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Dual to Single Brakes??
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 08:08:48 PM »

That didn't use to be the case when some of us were young & foolish and had those little 'styling' front brakes on the choppers that just would keep you from rolling back on a hill.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 08:16:12 PM »

That didn't use to be the case when some of us were young & foolish and had those little 'styling' front brakes on the choppers that just would keep you from rolling back on a hill.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 08:20:57 PM »

2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 08:27:37 PM »

Yeah, me too..........but I sure wish I could find better-looking rotors for my SEEG that were still floaters and would fit the stock wheels.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 08:50:41 PM »

Ditto!
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 10:33:57 PM »

I'm not gonna give up yet.......somebody must realize that there's enough of a mkt. out there to design/build us some.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 10:42:49 AM »

Herre's my two cents on the missing rotor...

Looks Great!  And will work just fine 99% of the time.  (Maybe 100, depending on your riding style.)  
Due to:
Your stopping capability is NOT limited by your brakes.  It is limited to the traction on the front wheel.  If you have enough brake to lock that wheel up, you are maxxed out on brake needs...  That having been said, that braking capabilty actually FADES with extreme heat.  So, the first time you stop, it works great, 4th and 5th too, most likely. BUT, if you are tooling down the 299, heavy braking going into repeated corners, your brakes are going to start fading, and you will first need increased brake pressure, and then they will fail altogether.    It all depends on how hard you ride.  If I wall hitting the dragon, I'd want both rotors.  Here in Oregon where I seldom hit the road real hard 'casue there just aren't that many highly entertaining roads, one rotor will probably do just fine.  

I split the line off of the left side rotor and rode with just the one rotor actuated for a month or so to see the difference, and under normal riding conditions there was no discernable difference.  When I took her out to Green Peter and really wrung it out, I discovered that the front end started to fade noticably.  

Bottom line, for my opinion, is:  either way is fine, depending on how you ride.  Getting the most braking available out of your tire is the secret to a good stop, and that's a matter of riding and stopping experience.  As long as you stay inside the level of your skills and riding style, either brake will do the trick for every day riding.  It's the perennial hot-rodder in us that will bite us in the a$$   ;)
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 03:26:23 PM »

Hey CoolBreeze, that's the best analysis of the 'missing caliper/rotor' that has been stated to this point......esp. with your actual experiment of riding w/o the one side for a month and comparing both normal and heavy riding styles.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 03:27:04 PM by spydglide »

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 05:44:02 PM »

This has been quite the discussion and I thank all for the input. I have no idea yet what I may or may not do. I've been sniffin around the possibility of 18" wheels also....hmmmm -she went in the shop today gettin gear drive, pistons and headwork done while its still snowin - dashing thru the snow in April - gotta love Northern Michigan [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

hogasm

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 08:41:28 AM »

Gloing with PM 18" wheels on the front with 13" rotor and 6 piston calliper, also from PM. The stock harley set up has less than 15% more breaking power than a 13" single rotor with 6 piston calliper. If it were more like 25% I would have to think twice before changing. Since it is so little I am changing over.
PM has a wheel that looks like the detanator. Hopefully it wont peel chrome like Harley's does.

CVO_BAGR

• '00 FLTRSEI_'04 FLHTCSE_'09 FLTRSE3_CHRIS BOYETTE
    • NC

• CVO1: FLTRSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: FLTRSE3
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 11:19:19 PM »

Hey Guys...For the record, There is absolutley no difference in performance with this change and you dont have to change the master cylinder either...only the brake line. I had mine done and when Nite Al saw it then he had his done too. I have rode the bike with one caliper one up, two up, with tour pack, w/o tour pak, loaded and unloaded and under abrupt stop conditions with no noticable loss of brake performance. The ONLY thing I noticed was that without changing the master cylinder that the brake lever is "stiffer" feeling when you apply brakes because you are not moving fluid through but one line and caliper instead of two but after a few hours of riding I don't even notice it anymore. Also, I didn't change my lower leg either. I just put a nut and bolt through the caliper mount holes on the stock leg and topped it off with the chrome caliper bolt covers that I had on it to begin with and it saved alot of money for the change over since all I had to buy was a brake line and pay the dealer's labor plus it will be easy to put it back if I decide to sell the bike one day. The Dealership service manager said that before he did it he called the MOCO and got their opinion of liability for the dealer for removing part of the brake system and he said that they gave him the OK when they responded back and give him a bunch of mumbo jumbo technical data that basically said that because the bike was lowered at the factory in the rear below stock for a FLHT that mathmatically what you lost in the front you made up in the rear somehow blah blah blah...I don't really remember the specifics. It is a lot of fun watching the expression on people's faces that ask about the safety aspect when they notice it and I tell them " HELL STOPPING AIN'T NO WHERE NEAR AS IMPORTANT AS LOOKING GOOD " !!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 04:47:06 PM by 103BAGR »

John Johnson

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 06:46:52 PM »

Hi Guys,

My 2 Cents, I ride in Europe as well as the US of A and have always, for the last 30 years ridden European Bikes.
I have had Brembo ,6 pot calipers and a whole raft of front brakes on all sorts of bikes.

I agree with whats been said before I will always go for MORE frone brake.The new Dyne I have ordered i have ordered it with DUAL fronts.Harley say they do not do it with duals. I said then change the Forks and make the thing work with duals.

It is a personal thing if it works for you,  go for it , me no way.

Regards to all.

JJ
2005 Electra Glide Yellow UK.
2006 Dyne Superglide Anniversary UK
1999 Police Electra Glide USA

Big Time

• Junior CVO Member
  • We ride for beer...need a beer for the ride
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 05:54:24 PM »

Would a front leg from a Heritage or Fatty work or is machining the boss off the only way?
2004 FLHTCSE black and blue
1998 XLHC 1200

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2006, 06:27:57 PM »

I would rather have the two front rotors for when one really needs to stop.  Trust my track experience - 74% of the braking (on 911's model 997S) comes from the front - I am sure the bikes are close...

Looks good but when you really need to stop (and especially since I have upgraded from the Screamin Chicken Electra Glide to the Screamin Chicken Electra Glide Classic - wanted more space and toys) then I need all the braking power I can get!!!

Especially doing triple digits down the backside of a mountain!  [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.