Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: start up issues  (Read 1515 times)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
start up issues
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »

Hello all;

Bike is a 09 CVO RG.  mods have been RSD air cleaner, cat less header, fullsac 2.25 baffles, TTS w Fullsac downlaod.  BIke has been running very good for past couple years.  While in Sturgis last year, I decided to replace the HD header with the V&H Power Dual.  I was going to go with the Fullsac version but liked the look of the V&H, so you know.....  Anyway, bike continued to run fine for rest of week at Sturgis.  After coming home the bike has been starting very difficult.  it burps and backfilres and then pops thru the air cleaner.  Then I try and restart a second time and it fires up.  This only happens on cold start ups.  Once bike is warm and I restart it starts right up.  I spoke to Steve and he suggested that I reload his map, which I have done.  He as right as it starts right away now.  Steve also feels that this issue may come back over time.  Any ideas as to what is causing this and what I should do to remedy.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Re: start up issues
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »

I know this is gonna sound like I think you're a newb, but how many miles since you changed your plugs ?  Actually although it doesn't happen very often with the new rides, you can still foul a plug. I'd at least pull the plugs and check em before I went off in any other direction with this.

B B

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »

6500 miles on her.  I have not checked plugs so that is a good idea.  I will go ahead and change them.  However, the problem went away when I reloaded the map, so I would think that that would not be the issue. 

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »

6500 miles on her.  I have not checked plugs so that is a good idea.  I will go ahead and change them.  However, the problem went away when I reloaded the map, so I would think that that would not be the issue. 

In the spirit of "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask "  are you using octane booster by any chance ? That stuff glazes your plugs and causes exactly what you describe in your initial post.  Also, and I am a bit fuzzy on the details but there's a syndrome where if your bike kicks back when you start it the ignition map can get out of whack. As told to me, you cycle your on/off switch a few times to clear it. Anyone heard of this ?

B B

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »

Spidey,

i do not use any booster.  I have not heard of the cycling on/off, but worth a try.  I took the bike for a quick ride after I did the re load.  so far so good.  I am going to change the plugs when I go in for oil change.  Cant hurt. 

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »

The location of the rear cylinder 02 sensor is wrong and the ECM gets data from this 02 sensor too early which makes changes to the fuel delivery at the wrong time and in the wrong spot.....this will continue to happen untill the limit has been reached that the 02 sensors work in.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »

Thanks Doc.  Is there a fix for that.  Also, i sent you an email for a recomendation for a TTS tuner in Mass.   Ted

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »

Compensator? just sayin
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:39:28 AM »

Thanks Doc.  Is there a fix for that.  Also, i sent you an email for a recomendation for a TTS tuner in Mass.   Ted

New Pipes....lol..... :P
Most guys that have those pipes simply continue to install the map back in the ECM to reset the correct values, however this has to get old after a while. Maybe you should get that ''x'' pipe after all......just saying

The closest shop to you that I trained is Yankee Harley Davidson in Bristol Conn. The tuners name is Matt and he has been doing a good job the last couple of years.
Doc 
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »

In the spirit of "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask "  are you using octane booster by any chance ? That stuff glazes your plugs and causes exactly what you describe in your initial post.  Also, and I am a bit fuzzy on the details but there's a syndrome where if your bike kicks back when you start it the ignition map can get out of whack. As told to me, you cycle your on/off switch a few times to clear it. Anyone heard of this ?

B B
  Yea and it helps if your bike is idling goofy, and it works.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.