Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LOOKING for Cary Faas CFR mufflers (information)  (Read 5415 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
LOOKING for Cary Faas CFR mufflers (information)
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »

NO question!  I have the Rinehart True Dual system with 4" cans and performance baffles.  I saw and heard a clip, my exact bike with black CFR slip-ons and I have got to have that sound.  Incredible!!  Question, I assume I can use my Rinehart true dual head pipes?  I would also assume that my T-Max would compensate for the change too?  I also need the best place to buy these mufflers. 

I would appreciate any help with my 3 questions, or direction on where to go and ask.  Also, is there a performance loss going with this exhaust?  not concerned about traffic light to traffic light, interested in maintaining midrange performance that i get with my Rineharts?

Thanks
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Re: LOOKING for Cary Faas CFR mufflers (information)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »

I've considered the CFR's as well, and the Rinehart 4" too.

I can't speak from personal experience, but from I gather from all the reading I've done, the CFR's sound great, but the baffles in them are too big, resulting in little to no back pressure, and therefore a loss in torque. Also, people say they are hard to tune. Mind you, you might not notice much of a loss considering the set up your running now- no offence to your exhaust, but like you say, yours is geared more to mid-high rpm power than low end torque.

Believe me, if I thought that wasn't the case, I'd have a set of CFR's by now. I'm probably gonna stick with my 2.25" Fullsac cores, until I hear a bike in person with pipes I like, that don't lose power. I love great sounding pipes as much as the next guy, but I dont' want to sacrifice power/torque for a better sound.

As far as where to buy CFR's, I'd post a "Want to Buy" thread in the Classifieds here, and at hdforums- There always seem to be guys that are ready to ditch them. If you want new, try Dr V-Twin or Phats Performance.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:24:01 AM »

FWIW, my dealership simply refused to install them for me, citing their continued issues tuning a bike equipped with them. I have a friend with a RK 103" that is cammed up and has larger intake. He's running these and is all top end. They sure do sound good though!

DennisG

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »

I had a set.  They looked fantastic.  Sounded pretty awesome, but the volume got irritating to me after a short time. .  Bike did not run good with them on, seemed to get worse,  no low end and midrange and after what I subsequently read about them and their tuning difficulties, I didn't want to spend the money and time to try to get them dialed in. Some people run them together with some other type of baffles to create come back pressure.  called Cary Faas to discuss and to be diplomatic, he is not the most humble person I have ever talked to.  Sold em.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:27:49 PM by DennisG »
2011 CVO Street Glide
Black Diamond with Crimson graphics
Wood 8 cams, 58mm TB, Hillside heads, (Changed to R&R cast heads, went from 115 hp 113 tq to 125 hp 124.73 tq)  D&D Bosscat Wrapped performance baffle, awesome sound!
Harley LED headlights and passing lamps
Focal spkrs and Arc Audio amp
Wild One Chubby bars 0575

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

DENNIS:  Thanks, we have the same bike, different color so your comment is relative.  To me, the louder the better.  I like loud and i want people to hear me and know i'm there.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

DennisG

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:32:46 PM »

i liked the loud ok and it definitely attracted good attention but it was rough sounding when accelerating and bike didn't run good with them.  Mr Faas seemed to think if someone had a problem tuning them they were incompetent, but there were many reports I found of difficulty even after long dyno sessions. They just don't have any back pressure to speak of.  I hear he is coming out with another one that is baffled it bit more, but I don;t know when.

PS I sold the Ultra in November but I have a 2011 CVO Streetglide with 58 mi  on a truck to me right now. Black with Crimson graphics.  Should be here next week

Dennis
2011 CVO Street Glide
Black Diamond with Crimson graphics
Wood 8 cams, 58mm TB, Hillside heads, (Changed to R&R cast heads, went from 115 hp 113 tq to 125 hp 124.73 tq)  D&D Bosscat Wrapped performance baffle, awesome sound!
Harley LED headlights and passing lamps
Focal spkrs and Arc Audio amp
Wild One Chubby bars 0575

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.