Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exhaust pipe deposits  (Read 737 times)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Exhaust pipe deposits
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »

I know this is probably a poor comparison but on an aircooled aircraft engine we always looked at the exhaust pipe to help judge if the engine was burning oil or if the fuel mixture was too lean or to rich. Ideally, we looked for a light gray dry deposit. On my bike when I wipe the pipe internally with my finger it is black, as if it were alittle rich. I had the V&H 2-2 pipes put on with SERT and dyno tuned and notice that even after riding 70-75 mph for over an hour my oil temp gauge dipstick reads no higher than 215F. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jesus is Lord

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Exhaust pipe deposits
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »

Have you checked the plugs to see what they look like?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Exhaust pipe deposits
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »

Since lead was removed from automotive grades of gasoline, you don't find those gray or whitish deposits in the tailpipes anymore.  Any deposits you do find, even on vehicles that haven't been tampered with and are still running the stock lean mixtures, tend to be black.

If you think you're running too rich, check the plugs, not the mufflers.  What kind of mileage are you getting?  That's another indicator.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.