Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Annoy and embarrassing rear cylinder chirping, hard to solve.  (Read 12818 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: Annoy and embarrassing rear cylinder chirping, hard to solve.
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:06 AM »

Chuck, IF that is exactly what was happening (the lifters holding the valves open), then those lifters could not have been manufactured to the same dimensions as a Harley lifter, or something wasn't installed correctly.  That's why I mentioned in my previous posts that the lifter dimensions should be verified first.  But that still has nothing to do with solid versus adjustable.  The correct length one piece rod will work just fine, with less weight and less risk of failure.  Now, if Mr. Wood is indicating that you need to use adjustables because his lifters aren't very precise dimensionally, I might go along with that.  The two sets I had weren't made right; that's why I'm back running the Harley "B" lifters. 

Jerry

Good info... woods pushes the fact they are MFGd in the USA.. but I dont know if one should be proud of that or not.

@ 700 miles on the setup, (The dealership installed Syn3), and its obvious the difference between Syn3 and Amsoil as the Syn3 is degrading.. OP is dropping and the motor is noisier than it was when the oil was fresh. OP jumps right up when you rev the motor so its not the pump.

I wanted to try the 25/60 Revtech oil to see what kind of pressure and temp changes I see.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

FltruseDave

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »

I had the same stupid chirping noise from my 04 Roadglide. Try this, while the motor is running on it's jiffy stand and you hear it chirping. Put your foot on top of the mufflers one at a time and press down or in. My problems was the muffler mount. The rubber was doing all the chirping and it went away when I throttled up and came back when I went back to idle.

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 02:18:50 AM »

I had the same stupid chirping noise from my 04 Roadglide. Try this, while the motor is running on it's jiffy stand and you hear it chirping. Put your foot on top of the mufflers one at a time and press down or in. My problems was the muffler mount. The rubber was doing all the chirping and it went away when I throttled up and came back when I went back to idle.

This tip just solved my chirp issue. Small victory for an annoying problem.
Much appreciated

GBRAVO

• My PANHEAD 51
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »

Last weekend I did 300 miles with no problems, actually I’m very happy how the bike is working.
So again THANKS to all the folks that help me with good advises, this is a great forum :2vrolijk_21:.

Finally I installed:
Woods directional lifters; they have a short duration noise in the start after a few days with no running the bike; witch is normal in this lifters.
Torrington B-168
SE 255 cams
SE adjustable push rods.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 25 queries.