Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TTS Timing question  (Read 3958 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
TTS Timing question
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:37:28 PM »

For the tuners on the board.

When tuning with the TTS on a stock 110 or 103 do you find that the stock timing is High , Low or  just about right ?

Thanks ,
          Dave

Ps: They say if you stare at this avatar long enough the top pops off.   ( 5 hours 13 minutes and counting).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:40:29 PM by DavidB »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: TTS Timing question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »

For the tuners on the board.

When tuning with the TTS on a stock 110 or 103 do you find that the stock timing is High , Low or  just about right ?

Thanks ,
          Dave

Ps: They say if you stare at this avatar long enough the top pops off.   ( 5 hours 13 minutes and counting).

That would depend on the base calibration you choose but I would rather start high than low.

After your VTune runs are complete you will so a data scan run. You will see the majority of the knock retard at 90 and 100 kPa. This is normally a fuel issue, not a spark issue. Once you fix the knock retard at 90 and 100 kPa you can then concentrate on adjusting the spark range in your riding areas. When your spark runs are complete you will need to adjust your VE's one more time.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »

That would depend on the base calibration you choose but I would rather start high than low.

After your VTune runs are complete you will so a data scan run. You will see the majority of the knock retard at 90 and 100 kPa. This is normally a fuel issue, not a spark issue. Once you fix the knock retard at 90 and 100 kPa you can then concentrate on adjusting the spark range in your riding areas. When your spark runs are complete you will need to adjust your VE's one more time.

This is what I am running into.
I put a Andrew's 21h in a 2010 stock 103 motor and am finding that the retard is in the 90  and 100 kPa mostly between 2500 and 3000 rpm.
I have backed it out 3 to 4 deg in this area . Just seemed a little much compared to the stock timing. I guess this is where the ecm just gets off of the closed loop.
It also wanted more fuel there also with the less restricted pipes no cat and good breather.
No more ping a roll on from 65 and heat issues were eliminated.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »

This is what I am running into.
I put a Andrew's 21h in a 2010 stock 103 motor and am finding that the retard is in the 90  and 100 kPa mostly between 2500 and 3000 rpm.
I have backed it out 3 to 4 deg in this area . Just seemed a little much compared to the stock timing. I guess this is where the ecm just gets off of the closed loop.
It also wanted more fuel there also with the less restricted pipes no cat and good breather.
No more ping a roll on from 65 and heat issues were eliminated.

Once your VTunes are complete, do a data scan to see your knock retard. The 90-100 kPa knock is normally fuel. Add 10% to both cylinders in the 90-100 kPa areas and once again if the first 10% doesn't take it out. Don't continue to increase your VE's much more than this as your cells will soon reach the limit of 127.5, use the "PE mode to time" if your knock is above 4300 RPM's or you can add fuel using the Accel Enrichment starting at 80* C (your 02 starting temp) to 160* C to help with this "snap throttle" knock retard. That's what it is... snap throttle, it won't show up if you rolled the throttle.

Once your fuel knock retard is gone then you can continue with advancing your timing tables.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »

Thanks for the reply Wizard I`ll give it shot.

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I am in the process of vtuning my bike.
How are you guys getting to 90kpa?

I have a hard time getting to 60 or 70 (at least, long enough to collect vtune data)

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »

At lower RPM's its easy, just run the bike in a higher than normal gear. Thhis will produce the 80 kPa and up areas easy. For higher RPM (>4000) you need a nice closed coarse with long hills, or a dyno.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »

At lower RPM's its easy, just run the bike in a higher than normal gear. Thhis will produce the 80 kPa and up areas easy. For higher RPM (>4000) you need a nice closed coarse with long hills, or a dyno.

Thanks!
I sure didn't expect to get an answer from the developer.  Although as great as the product is, I guess it shouldn't surprise me that the support is even better.
Keep up the good work.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »

Doesn't it also depend on your MSL (mean sea level) elevation? At 4,500 MSL, I can't get above 80 Kpa.

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »

Doesn't it also depend on your MSL (mean sea level) elevation? At 4,500 MSL, I can't get above 80 Kpa.

Yes it does depend on MSL rheiner
dosent matter because when you v tune you can't collect any  REAL data past 80 kpa either.
BTW Kerb. That is what you are seeing. You can only collect data from 30 kpa to 80 kpa when v tuning

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »

Vtune collects data from the entire range the engine runs in, but we limit it's use for safety reasons. The normal operating range of a HD engine is 30 - 80 kPa and yes elevation play a role in what you can and cannot do. The range we use in Vtune is 26 kPa - 83 kPa.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.