Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Smell after riding  (Read 5634 times)

Blksilverado

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Fuel Smell after riding
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »

I've noticed a issue with my bike, when I park it in the garage after a long ride (couple hours). I notice a fuel smell in the garage. Some times it's worse than others. Today the smell is pretty bad. It's got approx 170 miles on this tank, so ther tank only has a couple gallons in it at most.  Any ideas where to look before I talk with the dealer?

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Fuel Smell after riding
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »

Perplexing, trying to think what it might be. Thought perhaps you overfilled, till you said 170mi on that tank. Hmm....
Al

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »

Could be normal venting of the fuel tank.  I've noticed the same sort of thing over the years, especially if I get the bike nice and hot, then park it in the garage and immediately shut the door.  No matter how much liquid fuel is in the tank, the rest of the space is filled with fumes.  The heat from the engine is basically increasing the vapor pressure in the tank, and when that pressure reaches the limit of the bypass valve in the cap the valve opens and vents the excess pressure.  On a California bike those fumes are vented to a charcoal cannister just like with a car; the other bikes just vent to atmosphere through a rubber line that goes from the fuel filler area to somewhere below the battery.  So if you don't see any signs of an actual leak, I'm betting it's just hot fuel vapors being vented.  If you're not sure, by all means have the dealer check it out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Blksilverado

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »

Could be normal venting of the fuel tank.  I've noticed the same sort of thing over the years, especially if I get the bike nice and hot, then park it in the garage and immediately shut the door.  No matter how much liquid fuel is in the tank, the rest of the space is filled with fumes.  The heat from the engine is basically increasing the vapor pressure in the tank, and when that pressure reaches the limit of the bypass valve in the cap the valve opens and vents the excess pressure.  On a California bike those fumes are vented to a charcoal cannister just like with a car; the other bikes just vent to atmosphere through a rubber line that goes from the fuel filler area to somewhere below the battery.  So if you don't see any signs of an actual leak, I'm betting it's just hot fuel vapors being vented.  If you're not sure, by all means have the dealer check it out.

Jerry

You might be on to something Jerry...

Next time i do a longer ride in the heat I'll try loosening the fuel cap to vent the tank before i put it in the garage and see if that changes anything.  The bike was pretty hot when I parked it and shut the door.

Thanks

Tom

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:40:09 AM »

I say Jerry is spot on...... mine does this all the time. Nature of the beast.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Blksilverado

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 08:24:37 AM »

I think Jerry is bang on. It's likely normal, probably gas vapors venting from the tank. Riding on warmer days will cause more tank vapors. Do you see any leaks? Another question, did you have your bike tuned or is it still stock with the factory download? If you've had it tuned it could be running rich. If it's running rich you'll notice a black film inside the exhaust end caps.  

I have had the bike tuned.  The exhaust is a tan color, first harley I've had to run so clean out the back.

I bet that it's the tank vapors building and getting pushed out of the vent, cause there are no leaks.

Thanks for everyones help!

Tom

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:58 AM »

Mine has the same smell, after a ride on a hot day. I just don't shut the garage door immediately but instead let vent.

Ride safe.

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:24:44 PM »

Actually, wife made me take mine to the dealer.  Told me that it must be fuel vapor as they found nothing incorrect.  Said to fill tank prior to putting her away.  Made all the difference, no smell of fuel in the garage and making it's way into the house.  Happy wife, happy life.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.