Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plastic / ABS welding? Bonding?  (Read 1113 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Plastic / ABS welding? Bonding?
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »

I just purchased a GPS mount for my.... you guessed it, my GPS. It mounts to the inner fairing without the padded dash. I was wanting to get a fairing without mirror holes and have it painted to match, was thinking it would be nice to have the GPS mount plastic welded (from the insided) and blended before painting. Hoping the finished product would be like the GPS mount was molded into the dash. Anybody have any experience with such a thing? Any idea's?

Thanks,

Scott

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Plastic / ABS welding? Bonding?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »

I've never done it on something cosmetic, but ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) is the stuff that makes up black plastic drain pipe, so it can be welded/bonded.  The "glue" used to bond the pieces is actually a solvent so softens (i.e. chemically melts) the material, so you can't smear it on like hot glue and stick things together.  It would be a get it right the first time or you could end up with an ugly mess kind of thing.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Volski

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »

SEM makes the product(s) for doing what you are wanting to do. I don't have the part numbers in front of me or I'd give them to you. Or, if you'd like, I could hook you up with the inner fairing, mold that piece on and refinish it to match your bike! (hint,hint) Look me up on here or check out my website, www.jvscustompaint.com. Good luck.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:25:12 PM »

P.S.  That is one of the best proportioned, nicest looking bikes I've seen in awhile. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »

Thanks, I have to say I am extremely happy with it!!!

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.