Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Germany Trip - HELP  (Read 1556 times)

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Germany Trip - HELP
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »

We are flying to Frankfurt Germany on June 28 and renting an Ultra Classic from the HD Dealership.

Questions for you Eurpean guys:  Any laws regulations we need to be aware of while traveling through Germany, Italy and Switzerland?

I know in Italy you need flourebcent vests...are half helmets OK?

Please educate me.  Thanks.

napalm
napalm

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

Re: Germany Trip - HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »

Good morning ,

My advise : send PM to ice6900 for Switzerland and to Gone Fishin' or kraut for Germany.

Best regards

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »

When you cross the border into Switzerland you could well be waved through by the border patrol, but I would recommend you stop just after the guards and Purchase the motorway sticker, its called a "Vignette"  40 swiss francs from the office there, which is much cheaper than paying a fine if you are caught with out it! You stick it to the front of the bike!
Speed limits you can get away with 5kmh over in Switzerland, be aware there are many Grey Camera boxes on the side of the streets, mostly in the big cities but also in various places on the autobahns.
Generally to pay with credit cards we use PIN codes, not like you over there using ZIP codes.
In Europe we have EU type approval on our helmets, DOT approved you could probably get away with! The most likely place to get pulled for a helmet infraction would be in Italy, I think Kraut has a better knowledge of that than me.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:17:35 AM »

Thanks, we are heading out this next Tuesday...

napalm
napalm

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »

for Italy helmets must be ECE approved, DOT doesn't help. In Germany you may wear any sort of helmet as long as it is "for use on motorcycles", no special approval neccessary. If you got a navigation system in Germany use of speed alert data bases is prohibited, in Switzerland and Italy even the posession is - but you are not very likely to get checked for that. In Italy they got heavy fines for taking your hands off the bar or feet off the floorboards or not stopping at crosswalks. In Germany 5 km/h (according to speedo) over the limits is perfect (because speedos must read at least 5 km/h over actual speed) and 20 km/h over (actual) limit is still affordable (35 Euro in town and 30 Euro out of town). Switzerland and Italy are way more expensive. Riding under influence of alcohol (over than 0,05 %) is quite dangerous in all those countries, in Italy they may even confiscate the bike (for some time). Fluorescent vest are requested in Italy only for cars, not for bikes. Beware: in Italian traffic circles entering vehicles have right of way if not expressly signed otherwise, in Switzerland and Germany they do not. In Italy traffic lights don't show yellow before changing to red, in Germany ans Switzerland they do.

You may consider getting a one year membership with Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil Club as for just 100 Euro you get full protection for your whole trip in case of accidents, engine-failures, sickness or legal trouble (world wide actually). While Visa and Mastercard credit cards are almost everywhere accepted AMEX and Diners are not and there are still quite a number of shops and facilities that accept only cash (German police for instance  ;)) so always carry some 100 Euro (Germany/Italy) resp. Swiss Francs.

Check carefully that your rental is expressly allowed into Italy and Switzerland and fully insured (especially against theft) for those countries (German term is "Vollkasko").

That's the most important things that come to my mind  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

resident Alien

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2
    • CVO2: not CVO FLTC
    • CVO3: not CVO FLSTC
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »

I know this is too late for Napalm I didn't see this post until today, the 29th, but it might be useful for others planning a trip. One thing the Italians insist on is a translation of the licence into Italian, as do the French and Spanish into their language. An International drivers permit is available from the AAA for around $10 and covers U.S. licence holders all over Europe. Some places will not rent you a vehicle if you don't have an IDP.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »

We are flying to Frankfurt Germany on June 28 and renting an Ultra Classic from the HD Dealership.

Questions for you Eurpean guys:  Any laws regulations we need to be aware of while traveling through Germany, Italy and Switzerland?

I know in Italy you need flourebcent vests...are half helmets OK?

Please educate me.  Thanks.

napalm
Napalm ... if you wear flour cented vests in Italy they may make a pizza out of you  .... LOL
Have a great trip and stay safe from all the take advantage greeters.

BUCKNUT  :2vrolijk_21:
Good morning ,

My advise : send PM to ice6900 for Switzerland and to Gone Fishin' or kraut for Germany.

Best regards

Jacques
:worthless:... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Elmar

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: Buell XB12 Ulysses
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 03:08:25 AM »

Some more advises from a German Autobahn racer.  KEEP RIGHT! The left lane are for passing only. On three lane roads keep the right or the middle lane. If you driving a Harley and not a Sozukawonda 300 HP racing thing I recommend you always check your rearview mirrow. There will be a guy trying to pass you regardless of your actual speed. Ok, it is becoming less if you are already above 200mph -but still.

All in all for a Harley rider there are way better roads in Germany than the Autobahn. (but its fun anyway and I miss it a bit while I am in Wisconsin)

Good thing with our radar speed cams. 98% of them are taking a front picture of you and the licence plate of a motorbike is not visible ;D but occasionally you find a cop with a radar gun somewhere hidden and 300yrds later a police road block and then you are doomed. Do not argue with them just admit. Usually they are really nice to tourist and let you go
-in other cases they take Master Card and Visa by now :(

Have fun, you probably won't find any more American friendly country like Germany
YALE rules

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.