Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about regearing?  (Read 2519 times)

trghd

Question about regearing?
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »

I have an 01 serg, I am thinking of regearing to lower the rpm on the freeway since I tend to do a lot of distance riding. I am trying to figure out the best and most cost affordable option, I have thought about just going up a couple teeth on the rear sprocket and belt but have not been able to find a lot of info from guys trying to slow the bike. I am old enough and have been fast enough already, I want to lower the rpm so I can hear the radio better. LOL

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Question about regearing?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »

:-\
Running down the freeway (should) call for your undivided attention to whats going on in front, back and around you..........but given that doesn't seem to matter,  wouldn't it be cheaper to "plug in" head phones into your helmet and have the radio play directly into it.  Plus it would keep you from blaring your radio speakers for anyone else close by. :drink:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:57:43 PM »

First, if you want to lower rpms at a particular speed, you don't want to add teeth to the rear sprocket.  That will have the opposite effect.

If you're looking for the easiest and least expensive change, you could change your primary drive ratio by changing your current 24 tooth crankshaft output sprocket (compensator sprocket) to the 25 tooth sprocket Harley used on the '02 to '06 models.  That changes the overall gear ratio in top gear from your current 3.37 : 1 to a slightly taller 3.15 : 1.  That will reduce rpm by about 7% in top gear (if you used to run 3000 rpm at your favorite cruising speed, you would run about 2800 rpm at that same speed after the change) .  If you want a more radical change, the 6 speed overdrive transmission will do the trick, but that's much more expensive of course.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:15:41 PM »

First, if you want to lower rpms at a particular speed, you don't want to add teeth to the rear sprocket.  That will have the opposite effect.

If you're looking for the easiest and least expensive change, you could change your primary drive ratio by changing your current 24 tooth crankshaft output sprocket (compensator sprocket) to the 25 tooth sprocket Harley used on the '02 to '06 models.  That changes the overall gear ratio in top gear from your current 3.37 : 1 to a slightly taller 3.15 : 1.  That will reduce rpm by about 7% in top gear (if you used to run 3000 rpm at your favorite cruising speed, you would run about 2800 rpm at that same speed after the change) .  If you want a more radical change, the 6 speed overdrive transmission will do the trick, but that's much more expensive of course.

Jerry
he would also need to change the clutch basket to get the 3.15 gearing not just the compensator.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:29:45 PM »

he would also need to change the clutch basket to get the 3.15 gearing not just the compensator.

You're right, I forgot about the change from the 37 tooth ring gear to the 36 tooth on the later bikes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:12:41 PM »

The first gen SERGs with the 95's torque curve and their stock gearing did both literally and figuratively scream for either a change in gearing or another gear.  They'll wear you out on a long day on the interstate turning 3200-3500 depending traffic speeds you have to keep up with.

Six speed is a more expensive option.  But it does drop things down to very comfortable running ranges and you get the extra gear.  The other options are cheaper but the speedo will be innacurate when you're done.  So don't forgot to throw in some extra cost for speedo calibration device.

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »

Let me know If you are interested in swapping your gearing for the newer 3.15-1

I am looking for the older gearing

trghd

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:59:28 PM »

Thanks for all of the info. I think I am going to change the rear belt drive to a 66 or 68 tooth and then have the speedo corrected.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:21:05 AM »

trghd,

I did a Andrews 34 tooth front pulley on my 2000 RG and it did exactly what you are looking for. If I remember correctly it reduced the RPM's about 250-300 at highway speed. I did not need to change the belt or any other modifications. I also just so happen to have an extra 34 tooth pulley with about 5K miles on it. Here is my CL add, I will sell it for $60 shipped

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2501548114.html

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/motorcycle/cams/big_twin_transmission_belt_sproc.htm

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.