Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need advise on central California route  (Read 740 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Need advise on central California route
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »

I'm planning a California tour for September and wondered if some of the local riders from the area could give me their advise on the route I've selected from Cambria to Ridgecrest to Furnace Creek?

From Cambria we will ride Santa Rosa Creek Road to 46 E, continuing over 101 to Cholame.  Then we continue east on 46 to 99 S. and into Bakersfield, where we pick up 178 towards Lake Isabella.  We will continue on 178 over 395 to Ridgecrest where we'll stay for the night.

The next day we continue east and north past Trona picking up Trona Wildrose Road into Death Valley, past Emigrant Pass to 190 and east over to Furnace Creek where we'll stay the next night.

The next day we head back west on 190 to 136 and up 395 to Mammoth Lakes for the night.

I'm wondering if I've chosen the best route?  We're looking for interesting roads and one thought in particular was whether or not I should take 178 out of Bakersfield or bypass it completely staying north and taking Famosa Road up to 155 and over to Lake Isabella and then head south to 178?  :nixweiss:  Both look good to me.

Also could you give me some tips on riding through Death Valley.  Especially if we should go by Emigrant Pass or head north on Panamint Valley Road to 190 then east to Furnace Creek.

I realize that it will be quite hot, but think I'm better staying on the smaller scenic roads rather than the highways.

Day 1 from Cambria to Ridgecrest is 243 miles
Day 2 from Ridgecrest to Furnace Creek is 121 miles
Day 3 from Furnace Creek to Mammoth Lakes is 206 miles

Not too long of days, right?

Please feel free to suggest better routes, interesting stops along the way and places to eat...You guys live there and know the area a whole lot better than I.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and advise.

Take care and have a wonderful Christmas!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Need advise on central California route
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 11:23:06 PM »

JC knows the roads better than most of us but I would take Hwy 49 instead of 99.  Slower, but a really good ride with cool towns, etc.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:07:09 AM »

Hwy. 49 doesn't go that far south.

I told him that it's going to be an all day ride in very high temps, no shade, etc.  if they're doing it in Sept.  Especially because they'll be spending at least two days in those temps in the valley and in the desert. :nervous:  Not a big difference in temps between the valley (Fresno/Bakersfield end of the valley) and the desert in Sept. it'll be smokin. :nervous:  Not a ride I'd want to be doing in Sept.

One thing.....Immigrant Pass isn't anywhere near Death Valley.

Some of you guys that live in the south end of the valley may want to lean in here and give him your thoughts on this part of his tour. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:13:23 AM »

jus let me know when u r in the centrak valley I will ride with u head for the coast or into the mountains either way lets find some cool weather or we could find some watering holes to visit local
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 12:26:49 AM »

Ca has so much to see?, personally id skip the death valley idea. They dont call it death for nothing. All the beautiful coastline and into the gold country,high sierras,tahoe etc is where we all ride. The lower third of the state sucks for riding with the exception of a few areas

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »

Im with u Van anything on the coast would be fantastic in sept if I aint werkin I'm up for ridin
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 02:48:41 AM »

Death Valley in September  :'(   Be prepared for a sticken hot and miserable ride. I actually drove through Death Valley last Sept 17th on a drive from Ridgecrest to Pahrump in an air conditioned truck..  I remember it was 105 on Saturday and 103 coming back on Sunday; and that's in the shade. Make sure to take along ALOT OF h2O, plan your Death Valley ride early morning or evening and take along one (dont forget BSR) of these to help comfort from that grueling heat

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_iceberg+cooling+vest?utm_source=gps&utm_medium=csn&utm_term=Iceberg+Cooling+Vest&utm_campaign=sport-mesh+motorcycle+jackets&gclid=CK3yx_S6m60CFcoaQgodWD5jkw
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:43:45 PM by cvobiker »

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »

I Had a friend who came through death valley once and his primary was leaking oil as it got so hot it warped , he had to get it replaced. You may wanna rethink your time frame for going there. Just sayin.  :drink:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:17:17 AM by Montanakid »
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.