Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vent vibrates closed on vented lower  (Read 853 times)

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
Vent vibrates closed on vented lower
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »

I have a 2011 FLTRUSE.  The left lower vent keeps closing on me.  I found a little nut under the glove box liner that attaches to the 'twist knob'.  I tried tightening that but it seems to have had no effect.  This only happens on the left side -- ride side seems to stay put.  Is there any adjustment short of jamming something inbetween the sliding vent and the glove box itself?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Vent vibrates closed on vented lower
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:57 PM »

I have a 2011 FLTRUSE.  The left lower vent keeps closing on me.  I found a little nut under the glove box liner that attaches to the 'twist knob'.  I tried tightening that but it seems to have had no effect.  This only happens on the left side -- ride side seems to stay put.  Is there any adjustment short of jamming something inbetween the sliding vent and the glove box itself?

The nut is the only adjustment, and you need to be very careful when tightening it.  The stud it attaches to is actually a carriage bolt with a smooth head that you can't grip, and it's only held by the plastic of the vent.  Very, very easy to strip out and then be unable to remove the nut.

I'd suggest that your first course of action should be to take it to the dealer and get it documented and let them be the ones to try to fix it and screw it up.  They screw it up, they get to pay to fix it.  You screw it up, you get to pay to fix it.

I'm attaching a drawing that will show how the whole thing goes together, but basically there is a toothed plastic piece that is spring loaded and it should hold the vent in position.  In reality, a lot of them don't work as designed for various reasons.  A better design would fix it, but that would make too much sense.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »

The "spring" is actually a big soft plastic spacer that can be compressed a bit, puts more tension on the "ratchet" assembly and should keep it in position.......but......
let the dealer break it!
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »

My '08 CUSE has done that since new, (among other things) I just check it after I stop and reopen it if closes some. JohnT.

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »

Jerry, thanks for the info.  I was careful not to 'gorilla' the nut.  I might be able to tighten it a tad more just to see if it helps.  Yes, I know the dangers of 'a tad more'.  If I can't solve it that way, I'll look around for something like a matchbook or similar to wedge between the louver and the lower when it's in the open position.

As hot as this motor runs, I need all the air I can get.  I'm not inclined to remove the lowers because of looks and the fact I carry a few items there.  I'm due for the 5K service in a few days and will document with the dealer.  Bike's only 5 weeks old.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 09:39:59 PM »

My 07 had the same problem. I put a Belleville spring washer under the plastic "spring" to give it a little more tension without over tightening the bolt. Worked for me! I have the lowers off for the summer, like the look but miss those handy storage compartments.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »

FWIW: I pulled the doors off for the summer, I like the look of the lowers also, and wanted to keep them on. It helps a bit to get more air through to the engine. :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »

I have the same problem, started after I re-installed the vents after painting. I tried replacing the washer and spacer and that didn't work, then added a second rubber washer and that worked but made the slide too stiff to the point I can't operate the vent while riding. At least it's not sliding around at will. I didnt have this diagram at the time, so now I'm going to dig back into it this weekend and see if I left anything out when I re-installed. Thanks for the diagram Jerry  :2vrolijk_21:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »

I have heard a little velcro might work. I took mine off like HOGMIKE. I would find mine partially closed after riding all the time.

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 11:41:13 PM »

I tried the 'tad bit more' approach today.  It didn't help,  so I'll turn the problem over to the dealer at my 5K service  next week.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 25 queries.