Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ROLLER-X Lifters by Joe Schubeck  (Read 3045 times)

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
ROLLER-X Lifters by Joe Schubeck
« on: July 10, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »

There seems to be a growing number of lifter failures reports popping up on this and other HD forums. Look like another "product improvement " we need to add to our "to do" list. Recently came upon this lifer design made  by "Gentleman Joe" Schubeck, '60s  drag racer of the Hurst Hairy Old's 442 and Lakewood scattershield bellhousing fame. It's a lightweight body with the roller floating in an oil film, with no axle or needle bearings. Since the needle bearings seem to be what's failing in the HD lifters, this lifter design could be a winner.
 Would the CVO Harley engine experts out there offer their opinions? And has anyone had any experience with these?
Thanks,
Tom P.

http://schubeckracing.com/index.html

http://www.rollerxlifters.com/Special-Report.html

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: ROLLER-X Lifters by Joe Schubeck
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »

Why would someone go from a proven automotive design that has a small number of failures, relatively speaking, and go to a drag racing piece that carries a big risk of costing you a set of cases?. This RollerX lifter is not proven for any range of endurance. Plus the anodized aluminum running in the aluminum case bores just makes me nervous. I see no upside and a tremendous potential downside. AFAIC Wood lifters offer a technological improvement over stock, noise reduction when adjusted properly (adjustable pushrods needed), and are made in America by a very reputable company with strict low volume QC. They were designed by Bobby Wood with help from Jessel and are made by Morel
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:26:58 PM by Deweysheads »

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »

Why would someone go from a proven automotive design that has a small number of failures, relatively speaking, and go to a drag racing piece that carries a big risk of costing you a set of cases?. This RollerX lifter is not proven for any range of endurance. Plus the anodized aluminum running in the aluminum case bores just makes me nervous. I see no upside and a tremendous potential downside. AFAIC Wood lifters off a technological improvement over stock, noise reduction when adjusted properly (adjustable pushrods needed), and are made in America by a very reputable company with strict low volume QC. They were designed by Bobby Wood with help from Jessel and are made by Morel

Amen   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »

Why would someone go from a proven automotive design that has a small number of failures, relatively speaking, and go to a drag racing piece that carries a big risk of costing you a set of cases?. This RollerX lifter is not proven for any range of endurance. Plus the anodized aluminum running in the aluminum case bores just makes me nervous. I see no upside and a tremendous potential downside. AFAIC Wood lifters offer a technological improvement over stock, noise reduction when adjusted properly (adjustable pushrods needed), and are made in America by a very reputable company with strict low volume QC. They were designed by Bobby Wood with help from Jessel and are made by Morel

Thank you Don for your prompt response. You can't put a price on the expert advise that you and the other professionals on this site provide. It shows how much passion you have for what you do! :2vrolijk_21:
 I had already decided on an upgrade to Wood lifters this coming winter and  I'm sure I'll asking you and the others for advise as to what else should be done to add to the reliability of my 110.
 The Roller-X design using a roller supported by an oil film, not an axle and needle bearings, is a great idea, but long term will it stand up? I think I'll let others find that out!
Thanks again,
Tom P.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »

I can't comment on the roller, despite having an opinion. It is just one aspect of the part and there are others that concern me more. In other words it does not pay to exploit the perceived virtues when there are other aspects that could leave you stranded at best and stranded and then looking for new cases at worst.
This is a serious part and not one to mess with "experimental" stuff.
The last iteration of this part did fail and costed a few guys cases in the small number of sets he sold for the HD TC.
Would you "try one for the team" based on that knowledge?
Not me.
And I try all sorts of parts that could be considered "not mainstream" just not these.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:25:30 AM »

There seems to be a growing number of lifter failures reports popping up on this and other HD forums. Look like another "product improvement " we need to add to our "to do" list. Recently came upon this lifer design made  by "Gentleman Joe" Schubeck, '60s  drag racer of the Hurst Hairy Old's 442 and Lakewood scattershield bellhousing fame. It's a lightweight body with the roller floating in an oil film, with no axle or needle bearings. Since the needle bearings seem to be what's failing in the HD lifters, this lifter design could be a winner.
 Would the CVO Harley engine experts out there offer their opinions? And has anyone had any experience with these?
Thanks,
Tom P.

http://schubeckracing.com/index.html

http://www.rollerxlifters.com/Special-Report.html

Hat's off to him for being innovative for sure.
I'd want to see/touch/smell, before we cut it loose on a clients bike.
Scott

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.