Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLSTSE2 fuel gauge, range estimate, low fuel light  (Read 2487 times)

efriday

FLSTSE2 fuel gauge, range estimate, low fuel light
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:31:12 PM »

My 2011 FLSTSE2 low fuel light comes on when the tank has 2 gallons in it, and the gauge shows 1/4 tank. The "range" estimate on the center console shows 170 miles when the tank is full.
Compared to my Road King, HD seems to have made the fuel measuring system really conservative.

Does everyone else see these numbers on their FLSTSE2?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: FLSTSE2 fuel gauge, range estimate, low fuel light
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »

My 2011 FLSTSE2 low fuel light comes on when the tank has 2 gallons in it, and the gauge shows 1/4 tank. The "range" estimate on the center console shows 170 miles when the tank is full.
Compared to my Road King, HD seems to have made the fuel measuring system really conservative.

The capacity of the tank is 5 gallons if I remember correctly.  So 2 gallons should read just slightly below 1/2, not 1/4.  And the low fuel light shouldn't come on until you have approximately 1 gallon left, not 2 gallons.  I would suggest that you have a defective fuel gauge or sending unit, and you should have your dealer fix it under the terms of the warranty.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chywy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »

My 2010 does the same thing.  Fill it up and distance to empty is 168 - however I know the bike is getting 50 mpg so the numbers don't add up.  I can show a 1/4 tank and see that  the DTE is 80 miles - I think it's constantly readjusting the DTE - and it depend alot on what gear your're riding in.  My "Overdrive" hates 65 miles zones and want to lug down to just abovee 2200 rpms - so I avoid overdrive unless I'm on the Intestate at 75 plus and it's flat.  But I live and die by the DTE - since having to cross the heartland of the plains states - 91 octane is hard to come by and so are gas stations.

CHYWY

efriday

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:05:08 AM »

The dealer finally replaced the Body Control Module (BCM) and all problems went away.  That was at the end of March. Have put 7500 miles on the bike now. Had to add front fork air deflectors to eliminate the terrible buffeting above 65 mph.
There was a BCM recall for the 2011 FLSTSE2, which the dealer claimed to have done when I bought the bike - but probably didn't  do correctly.

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »

I took delivery of my new Convertible in April. How can I tell if my BCM is the latest one?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »

I took delivery of my new Convertible in April. How can I tell if my BCM is the latest one?

Look on the label next to the steering head on the frame for the date the bike was assembled, should give a month and year.  The bikes affected by the recall were assembled during the period of 6/2010 thru early 10/2010.  You can also check directly with your dealer or distributor, or contact H-D directly.  The details and a contact phone number are on the attachment.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

efriday

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »

Before the dealer replaced the BCM, the bike had a host of problems - ghost "No FOB" messages would scroll across the console while riding, Security Light would come on while riding, low fuel light at 1/4 tank. No problems since BCM replacement.
CHYWY - have you noticed the air rushing UP on each side of the fuel tank starting at 65 MPH? Buffeting against my helmet was deafening. Mounted fork air deflectors, and eliminated 90% of buffeting.

chywy

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:59:58 PM »

Before the dealer replaced the BCM, the bike had a host of problems - ghost "No FOB" messages would scroll across the console while riding, Security Light would come on while riding, low fuel light at 1/4 tank. No problems since BCM replacement.
CHYWY - have you noticed the air rushing UP on each side of the fuel tank starting at 65 MPH? Buffeting against my helmet was deafening. Mounted fork air deflectors, and eliminated 90% of buffeting.

Yeah - I hang on to the throttle and the harder I hang on the faster I go - seems like a never ending problem.  I've read alot about the issue of buffeting and there are a few photos of bikes with deflectors - I also read that your helmet can factor into the degree of buffeting - I figure it's part of riding the ride I ride.  Could have bought an Ultra Classic with air conditioning and Bose surround sound and a coffee cup holder - but I didn't.  I may in the future check out the deflectors.  I'm glad you got your troubles cleared up with a new BCM.  Ride safe,
CHYWY

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 25 queries.