Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rough idle , now won't start  (Read 5241 times)

red1dr

rough idle , now won't start
« on: December 12, 2007, 08:38:05 PM »

Having a little problem w/ my 01 serg. Started it the other day and wouldn't idle for crap. Now it won't start at all. Called dealer for service and they still won't admit the injection is crap. Can anyone give me a quick crash course on this problem so they don't smooth talk me. Only has 17k on it and last time they had it they did intake seals. The exhaust also has weird smell, that you can smell while riding. No I'm not huffing the pipes. I would appreciate any info before I go to the dealer. Also if you crack the throttle a little while cranking the starter it sounds like the starter is skipping on the flywheel or starter gear. The gremlins of M&M injection have bit me in the ass.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
Re: rough idle , now won't start
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:50:35 PM »

red1dr,,welcome and sorry for the lack of response,,what did you find out ?? most likely the starter skip is just the starter clutch, unless you chewed the ring gear up,...m&m is very  odd ,either runs good,, or like complete chit..I converted to a carb,,let us know what it was,sorry cant be of any more help,,other then get that M&m out of there!! ,headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »

Change the plugs, seriously. I have an old set of plugs which came with the bike that I have to install every now and than as sometimes the bike just won't start. This bike hates new plugs for some reason.

The starter noise is common with opening the throttle while cranking. At least with my bikes and ATV's.

If you don't get it I'm not all that far from you if you need a hand.

I too like HEADPAN62 went to a Carb. No regrets.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »

red1dr I think I met you this summer at the Lehighton Bike Nite.  :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »

My two cents,

1  Contaminated fuel,

2  Crank sensor,

3  fouled plugs, but not likely.

Good luck

Scooter  :coolblue:

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

red1dr

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »

put a set of screaming eagle platinum in it and it started right up. Puzzled you are correct and that is a nice picture of a sei2, since it is mine. as far as starter skip, i am taking it in for 17,5 service and let them deal with it. Thanks for the input it did help.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:31:20 PM »

That is good to hear it worked out for you.  ;D
2023 CVO Road Glide

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:09:43 PM »

Red1dr,

Did the new plugs solve the idle problem too?  I've noticed since the weather had gotten colder that my bike having trouble on cold start-up making the transition to warm.  It runs fine when first started but when it gets warmed up, the idle drops significantly, it gets much rougher and if I don't catch it in time, it will stall and be a bit hard to start back up.  Today I attended a Polar Bear ride (100+ miles) and while with the group, it was idling rough and I had to keep my hand on the throttle a bit to keep it from stalling.  Seemed better after I dropped off from the group and filled the tank.

I had the bike to the dealer about two months ago and they said they adjusted the idle, I thought maybe they hadn't set the idle up quite high enough.

Cheers,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

red1dr

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »

yeah the plugs definitely helped. started right up

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »

Thanks Red1dr,

Sorry for the slow response and thanks for your confirmation on the benefit of the new plugs.  Bought/installed SE plugs and bike does run/start better.  Idle is still a little low in cold temperatures.  Stopped by the dealer and they feared if they bumped it up some, it would be idling too high in good weather.  Been in the 60s the last few days and it is running fine, just idling a bit low I suspect.  Hope yours is doing well.

BlueSEI2

Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

mrigeo

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 12:18:05 AM »

Welcome Red1dr. Like Headpan said, dump the M&M. Great bike, but the FI sucks. You can go with a carb, but I converted to Delphi  :2vrolijk_21:(late model FI) and love it. No cold weather start and idle problems.  :)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »

Welcome Red1dr. Like Headpan said, dump the M&M. Great bike, but the FI sucks. You can go with a carb, but I converted to Delphi  :2vrolijk_21:(late model FI) and love it. No cold weather start and idle problems.  :)

Geo, I'm curious what all your conversion entailed, such as who you had do it, what components you used, etc.  From the little bit I've heard, the MM/Delphi conversion is extremely difficult and costs a lot, so it's nice to hear from someone who's done it successfully and learn what's involved.

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 21 queries.