Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changed my oil for the first time  (Read 1379 times)

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
Changed my oil for the first time
« on: February 07, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »

I changed my oil the other night and like I always did on my 06 Ultra I put 3 1/2 quarts back in and I'm showing full on the dipstick with the side stand cold on the CVO?

I realize that you don't get all the oil out of the motor but with the reading I'm getting on the side stand cold I need to take some out.

This don't seem quite right. ???

2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Changed my oil for the first time
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:03:17 PM »

I changed my oil the other night and like I always did on my 06 Ultra I put 3 1/2 quarts back in and I'm showing full on the dipstick with the side stand cold on the CVO?

I realize that you don't get all the oil out of the motor but with the reading I'm getting on the side stand cold I need to take some out.

Did you start your motor to fill the oil filter yet?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »

Not sure where your getting 3 1/2.  I put 4 qts in my 06 & 4 qts in my 09.  After I run either one, warm it up, fill the oil filter they both read 1/2 + the way up on the dip stick.  3 1/2 qts would leave you a 1/2 qt short.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »

Not sure where your getting 3 1/2.  I put 4 qts in my 06 & 4 qts in my 09.  After I run either one, warm it up, fill the oil filter they both read 1/2 + the way up on the dip stick.  3 1/2 qts would leave you a 1/2 qt short.

I think most (me included) refill the motor after an oil change with 3 1/2 quarts of motor oil.  I get misting out the breathers with 4 quarts...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »

I ran the bike for several minutes after the oil change. Then let it cool down and checked the oil.  It was at the full mark.  My understanding is it will show higher with the oil hot?

Maybe I'm wrong?

I too had the oil misting problem with my 06 so thats why I ran with less than 4 quarts. 

One thing my 06 had that the 11 cvo doesn't have is the 21" front wheel.  Even with the 1" lowering kit the front of the bike sat 3/4" higher than stock so when the bike was on the side stand it leaned over farther than stock.  Which would indicate a lower oil reading than you really had.

I still can't believe that I'm reading full "cold" with 3"1/2 quarts of oil.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:40:06 PM by 2006ULTRA »
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »

Interesting.  I have 3 other HD's I look after for friends, all Ultra's or SG's & all of them run 4qts, read 1/2+ way up on the dip stick & have no blowby out of the air cleaner.  Interesting.
Bill (Sklywag)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »

4 x 981 ml...time and again 2/3 of the way up the dipstick. Sometimes I almost don't think it's worth the bother to check.....almost!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »

Seems like an interesting survey thread
Bill (Sklywag)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »

If you actually drained as much oil as possible, it would appear you still had 16 ounces of oil in the crankcase, cam chest, oil cooler lines, etc.  That would be rather excessive in my experience.  You might want to drain the actual crankcase and measure the amount of oil remaining there.  Anything over 6 ounces is excessive and could indicate an oil pump scavenging problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »

Was the engine hot or at normal operating temp. when you drained the oil.  If not, them some may have been left in there. 

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »

I let the bike idle for maybe 3 or 4 minutes then rode it 2 blocks down to get primary oil. Shut it off, went in to store, got oil, rode 2 blocks back and shut it off so I doubt it was hot or at normal operating temp.  It's 30 degrees here in Iowa so it would have taken me 20 miles to get it up to temp.  Too cold for me.

Honestly I never did much more than that on my old bike either.  But again my old bike had a 21" front wheel.  Anyone that has had that set up will tell you the bike will lean farther on the side stand so the oil will always show lower than it really is.

"If you actually drained as much oil as possible, it would appear you still had 16 ounces of oil in the crankcase, cam chest, oil cooler lines, etc.  That would be rather excessive in my experience.  You might want to drain the actual crankcase and measure the amount of oil remaining there.  Anything over 6 ounces is excessive and could indicate an oil pump scavenging problem."

Oh lord don't say oil pump :nervous:  I just went through that with a buddy's bike.  My bike has 900 miles on it, I would hope the oil pump ain't bad.  Everyone knock on wood please.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:45:00 AM by 2006ULTRA »
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

Bigjim1661

• Can you curl a harley?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »

My proceedure that I use on customers bikes at the shop...
1. check the fluids
2. warm it up
3. ride it till it gets up to temp
4. when i get back, let it idle for a few minutes so that the oil in the top end can get back down.
5. rack it and pull the drain plugs, inspect plugs, oil condition, and bottom of pan for debris with your eyes and a magnet
6. remove the crank position sensor and make sure it has no metal on it (it is a magnet!)
7. remove the filter
8. new o rings and pipe dope on the plugs and install
9. fill up the filter, lube the gasket, and install (hang on to the open 3/4 - 1/2 qt) replace the crank position sensor
10. add 3 new full quarts of oil
11. start and let oil get to flowing
12. check the level and top off with the left over partial quart. Remember, if you warmed the bike up before you did the oil change and you did not take more than 20 min to do the oil change, you are already near operating temp, so you can get close to the HOT mark on the stick.
13. tape the lid of the partial quart and give it to the customer.

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »

My proceedure that I use on customers bikes at the shop...
1. check the fluids
2. warm it up
3. ride it till it gets up to temp
4. when i get back, let it idle for a few minutes so that the oil in the top end can get back down.
5. rack it and pull the drain plugs, inspect plugs, oil condition, and bottom of pan for debris with your eyes and a magnet
6. remove the crank position sensor and make sure it has no metal on it (it is a magnet!)
7. remove the filter
8. new o rings and pipe dope on the plugs and install
9. fill up the filter, lube the gasket, and install (hang on to the open 3/4 - 1/2 qt) replace the crank position sensor
10. add 3 new full quarts of oil
11. start and let oil get to flowing
12. check the level and top off with the left over partial quart. Remember, if you warmed the bike up before you did the oil change and you did not take more than 20 min to do the oil change, you are already near operating temp, so you can get close to the HOT mark on the stick.
13. tape the lid of the partial quart and give it to the customer.

You have some lucky customers!  That's a great service plan.  Thanks for the post.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 05:39:06 AM »

Normally 12-16oz of oil are left in the engine.  That is why you never add 4 quarts at an oil change - you add 3.5.  If you add the 4, you typically end up with oil coming out of the breathers until the level stabilizes.  This is where many complaints of oil useage come from - people don't realize thay have overfilled the engine and it is just finding it's natural level.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 25 queries.