Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: front end wagging the tail???  (Read 4245 times)

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: front end wagging the tail???
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »

my problem isnt a wobble  like while riding ...its when maneuvering around in a parking lot driving over a bump while turning and the front suspension compresses when the suspension rebounds the front wheel whips across in the opposite direction of the turn it feels like the bottom tripple clamp is loose and the forks are twisting.. all the bolts are tight at the front thats why i was thinking something loose further back in the frame
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 08:44:38 PM »

my problem isnt a wobble  like while riding ...its when maneuvering around in a parking lot driving over a bump while turning and the front suspension compresses when the suspension rebounds the front wheel whips across in the opposite direction of the turn it feels like the bottom tripple clamp is loose and the forks are twisting.. all the bolts are tight at the front thats why i was thinking something loose further back in the frame
My 09 SERG exhibited the same symptoms on the way to Sturgis '09. Dealer "on the road" said they couldn't find anything. Several thousand miles later I returned home and local deal adjusted steering head and problem faded. FWIW

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 07:17:58 AM »

I just bought mine last week and right now i have 350 miles on her, during the past week it seem like I didnt have the problem until today. This morning I put my bike full up on my SS jack to clean and do a few other things. This afternoon i took her out and guess what? I have the wobble and it happens during decel between 30 and 40 MPH..  :(

Damn...There's a shocker.. Raise it up, pull the bar full left, let it go and count the swings, my bet is...its' past one ..you know what to do next
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »

ya think the dealers would be able to take care of this by now. :nixweiss: the factory.............nevermind. :huepfenjump3:

i remember on my 08 going back and forth with service and got all sorts of excuses. :nixweiss:
the best was not to let go of the bars. >:(  thats my test now on setting the head bearings. tighten till no more wobble on decel from 45 down.

TN

what Texas 103 said, one swing is about right.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:55:18 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »

For the money we pay for these over priced harley, there should not be a damn thing wrong with the bike.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 04:26:53 PM »

Damn...There's a shocker.. Raise it up, pull the bar full left, let it go and count the swings, my bet is...its' past one ..you know what to do next
nope pull the bars  left or right just goes back to center dosnt go past center the diagram shows should swing across to full lock right then back to center what annoys me is how did the tech perform that test all the wires and brake and clutch lines are dragging stopping it from swinging manual says to disconnect these to perform test  repair oder states performed fallaway test and adjusted neck bearings what did I pay for ??? Its no wonder HD is reluctant to allow warranty work to be done on the advise of the techs they put these guys on flat rate and all the tech is interested in is how many hours can i bill on this RO without actually having to do the repair That kind of crap dosnt work for me so im sure HD feels the same
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »

I can ride down the street 20-30-40 mph and let go of the handlebars and the bike runs straight no wobble dont pull left or right I did this no hands every time i left the house for 2 weeks as i was approaching the stop sign at theend of my street  is this the only symptom of the neck bearing problem???

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »

I can ride down the street 20-30-40 mph and let go of the handlebars and the bike runs straight no wobble dont pull left or right I did this no hands every time i left the house for 2 weeks as i was approaching the stop sign at theend of my street  is this the only symptom of the neck bearing problem???

get up to 45 er so in 3rd or 4th gear in a straight line, take hands off bars and let decel  to around 20 or until you feel comfortable to (no brakes). if head bearings needs tightened you'll know it by the wobble. if smooth definitely look elsewhere. :nixweiss:
the neck bearings is such a common problem its what i think of first.

good luck on getting her smoothed out.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »

the new spec is when turned all the way left, it should swing back JUST past center and then TO center. a lot of techs won't do this. we have had great success with RG's using this method. it's how my 09 is set up

X2 on what Larry said, did mine that way, just didn't say it that way. My attitude was I am going to tighten the bearings up until it quits regardless of the number of swings, Try to get as much as the stuff out of the way when you do the test. Mine swung different from left to right vs right to left. Probably cable or something I didn't see. Regardless it's good now and I checked it again after about 10K miles  and hasn't moved. I run mine with 2 up air pressures 40 rear 38 front and 45-50 in shocks. I'm sure you've checked that already. Stay with it, you'll fix it. Thought it was interesting that they now have changed the swing spec on the '11 models. I'm sure that change was well thought out after enough people bitched, and guys like us here fix chit the way it ought to be..and Harley said, hmmm maybe we should tighten that spec up...Ok I'm done bitchin..See you all in MV! Greg 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.