Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Labor cost to mount tire  (Read 2212 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Labor cost to mount tire
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »

For people that has taken their rear tire off a bagger, did you take the mufflers off or take out the lower shock bolts and drop the swing arm down to clear the exhaust to get the axle bolt out?
The SE Eglide supplemental shop manual gives the option of the lower shock bolt removal.  Sometimes it can be a pain to take the mufflers loose from the headers.   Thanks.

Depending on your exhaust you may need to remove the shock bolt to make the axle removal easier.  That is definitely easier the removing the mufflers.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 10:52:49 AM »

For people that has taken their rear tire off a bagger, did you take the mufflers off or take out the lower shock bolts and drop the swing arm down to clear the exhaust to get the axle bolt out?
The SE Eglide supplemental shop manual gives the option of the lower shock bolt removal.  Sometimes it can be a pain to take the mufflers loose from the headers.   Thanks.
Boatman,

Definitely, remove the shock bolts and lower the swing arm versus removing the mufflers.  Not only does this make it easier to remove the wheel and tire, but removing and reinstalling the mufflers without creating an exhaust leak can be a real pain.  I would suggest that you support the wheel and tire with a separate floor jack before you pull the shock bolts, loosen the axle nut so the wheel and sprocket can slide forward, and then slowly lower the wheel until you have clear access to the axle and sufficient clearance of the tire to the fender to make removal easy.  Use the floor jack during installation to help support and align the wheel & tire until the axle and the shock bolts are reinstalled.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »

Won't work...you have to remove the bolts then lift the swingarm...the oil pan stops the swingarm from going much lower than it is with the shocks in place.  You can push the swingarm upward and get the axle out but you'll still need to manuever it between the exhaust and the saddlebag mount.  For me, to put a real torque wrench on the axle going back together the exhaust is still in the way...so I find it easier to just pull the exhaust....takes a whole 5 minutes if ya take your time.

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 03:50:06 PM »

we were doing the Redwood Run last month and had a bike  (Roadglide) with a flat rear.  Plugged it and got the bike back to Redwood HD.  $240 total by the time the dust settled...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »

Boatman,

The method I described above is the one I used for many years on my Dyna's, where it worked like a charm.  Unfortunately, I shot off my big mouth in response to your question after assuming it would work the same on an e-glide.  I just came in from checking a little more closely on my SEEG, and FR8TRN is correct - the swingarm on the e-glide will contact the trans housing before you could drop the axle low enough to fully clear the mufflers.  So it looks like the mufflers have to come off.  I would still remove the shock bolts, however, to make it easier to raise or lower the wheel as required to clear the bag supports.  Sorry about the original erroneous reply.

It was so easy to pull the rear wheel using my "remove the shock bolt" method on the Dyna that I used to do it at least once and sometimes twice a year, to thoroughly inspect and clean the wheel and inside the fender, etc., even when I didn't need a new tire.  Now with the e-glide, it looks like I'll just be waiting until new tire time.  BTW - I always removed my wheels in the past and took them to the dealer to have the new tires installed and balanced, but the last time I did this I ran into a "change in policy" at a couple of the local dealers.  The story went like this:  "Due to liability concerns, we no longer mount tires unless we also remount the wheels to the bike."  One place refused to mount the tires even after I offered to sign a waiver; the second place relented and mounted the tires for me.  Anyone else run into this sort of BS?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 07:53:36 AM »

Last tire I changed was in February, but my dealer here mounted and balanced the tire for me with no question.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 09:15:34 AM »

I don't pull my mufflers to pull the wheel. I pull the shock bolts and lower the arm so the axle is below the muffler. I use to pull the muffler but that is a P.I.T.A. and I take the chance of damaging the head pipe pushing and pulling on it. I've been changing most of my own motorcycle tires for years and I've yet to damage a wheel. The real low profile tires are a chore so occasioanally I HAVE to go to the dealer for help.

For those looking to change their own tires at home look into No-Mar and their Ultimate package.
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/NoMarmainFrameset.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:19:24 AM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 06:03:10 AM »

One place refused to mount the tires even after I offered to sign a waiver; the second place relented and mounted the tires for me.  Anyone else run into this sort of BS?
Jerry

Yup sure have....thats one of the reasons I started changing my own.  I even worked out the numbers for the little shop I bought the tire levers from....showed him how all the tools to do it were paid for the first time I changed em myself with just the difference in tire price.....and how he'd never see my business again.....hmmm perhaps thats why I still haven't gotten my other set of wheel protectors.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 08:56:10 AM »

Yup sure have....thats one of the reasons I started changing my own.  I even worked out the numbers for the little shop I bought the tire levers from....showed him how all the tools to do it were paid for the first time I changed em myself with just the difference in tire price.....and how he'd never see my business again.....hmmm perhaps thats why I still haven't gotten my other set of wheel protectors.
Good for you. That's the way it should be. Once you own the tools your good to go. I do the same thing. This is why I own a pretty decent set of Twin cam motor tools, transmission tools, wheel bearing tools, etc.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2023 CVO Road Glide

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 09:04:37 AM »

Good for you. That's the way it should be. Once you own the tools your good to go. I do the same thing. This is why I own a pretty decent set of Twin cam motor tools, transmission tools, wheel bearing tools, etc.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Good to know where those things are.....your not too far away.... [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 09:24:33 AM »

Good to know where those things are.....your not too far away.... [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
No such thing as too far away..... ;)
2023 CVO Road Glide
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.