Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Dealer NORMAL  (Read 1470 times)

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
Another Dealer NORMAL
« on: October 29, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »

Just had my compensator upgraded on my 2008 along with the inner primary bearings replaced.  Rode home in forty-six degrees and all was well with normal noises.  Took bike out a few days later in seventy-five degree weather and after a good warm up I started hearing terrible knocks coming out of lower end.  Took back to dealer and they took it apart again. Finding nothing wrong, they said noise was NORMAL  I know better owning many Ultras over the past ten years. I rode it back home and started further inspection.  I found that my transmission oil was very low for the first time in 27,000 miles.  When draining the remaining oil, I probably only had a half a pint in the tranny but fortunitely drain plug was clean. Since the noise only started after their repair was made on the primary side, anyone know how the tranny lost most of its oil?  Are the two sides connected so fluid could flow during repair of inner bearing? I refilled with a fresh quart of oil and all NORMAL noise is gone. 

Thanks for any information.

Tom149

• 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate, 107CI
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate
    • CVO2: Non-CVO 98' Fatboy 95th Anniversary Edition - Wife's Ride
Re: Another Dealer NORMAL
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:50:20 PM »

Another Unfreakinbelievable stealer episode!!! Glad you found it, and fixed it.

Tom
Tom

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »

Unless a seal is gone the tranny fluid can't go anywhere.  Not to defend a dealer but it's illogical to assume they pulled the drain plug, lost half the fluid then put the drain plug in with the attendant fluid all over the servicer's hand.

It's also (at least to me) unexpected that a tremendous racket would ensue from a tranny being a half quart low.  At least not if it had a good gear oil in the case.  Perhaps if just motor oil...

In any case I'd still be worried about your noise were I in your shoes.  Wouldn't trust I'd absolutely found it.

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »

There is lots of local riding to do around here through the winter prior to Daytona in March.  Hopefully that will be enough time to prove out the fix or no fix.  Have two years left on my extended warranty but would not want to use it while on a trip.  Thanks for your input.

Page created in 0.732 seconds with 25 queries.