Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HID Low is Great, H4 High hits the space shuttle  (Read 1383 times)

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
HID Low is Great, H4 High hits the space shuttle
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »

08 Serk with the Dual Bulb setup.( no driving lights )  I have HID for the low beam (which I love)  and a whiter H4 for the high beam.

Now lets get complicated.... I have a modulator for the high beam,  which is great during the day,  as it really gets me noticed,  esp with the color variation from HID low to H4 High.  I have MOTOLites down by the wheels with upgraded 50 to 75 watt bulbs. 

LED and HID wont modulate,  hence the H4 high beam.  At night my HID low really lights up the road and the motolites do a great job of fill in.

Now the question.....

When I have my high beam on at night it shoots way high and is only useful if I need to see incoming aircraft.  The HID low is aimed perfectly,  but the high beam is useless.  Thoughts???

I actually found a place that has HID for the motolights (used in aircraft landing gear)  but it made be a tad excessive (but it would match the HID during the day  :apple:

Scott

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
Re: HID Low is Great, H4 High hits the space shuttle
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »

Sounds like the bulb(s) are in upside down!

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »

Possible....   ???  I bought these from the guy who make the only H8's with a whiter color....  He sold me 2 HID kits for $90,  so I keep one as a spare.

If I reversed them,  wouldnt the H4 low beam shine way to low down the street?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »

The problem might have to do with the HID kit, if you are using the stock reflector.  The issue is, these "Kits" don't place the filiment is the exact position spec'd by the original design for proper focus. This is a notorious issue and why this kits are typically marked for Offroad Use Only.

As such, with the kit, not being centered correctly to the reflector, you have to adjust up the housing too far. Then when you insert the H4, it forces that to be way off.  Again, this logic is only applicable if you are using the stock housing/reflector with an aftermarket HID kit.

If this is the case, you will need to go back to the HID vendor and explan the situation. They might be able to help you with a shim or different bulb to reposition the HID, which in turn will allow you to lower the aim, and help bring the HB back into range.

2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:20:03 PM »

The problem might have to do with the HID kit, if you are using the stock reflector.  The issue is, these "Kits" don't place the filiment is the exact position spec'd by the original design for proper focus. This is a notorious issue and why this kits are typically marked for Offroad Use Only.

As such, with the kit, not being centered correctly to the reflector, you have to adjust up the housing too far. Then when you insert the H4, it forces that to be way off.  Again, this logic is only applicable if you are using the stock housing/reflector with an aftermarket HID kit.

If this is the case, you will need to go back to the HID vendor and explan the situation. They might be able to help you with a shim or different bulb to reposition the HID, which in turn will allow you to lower the aim, and help bring the HB back into range.

Spoke to Kevin  Bluhm of Bluhm enterprises...  He understands the issue but doesn't have a good,solution.  Anything I can do?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:05:08 AM »

Spoke to Kevin  Bluhm of Bluhm enterprises...  He understands the issue but doesn't have a good,solution.  Anything I can do?

Get a refund?  Again, this is exactly the problem with these retrofit kits. HID is a dying breed anyway. The way to go now is LED.

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:54:06 AM »

Get a refund?  Again, this is exactly the problem with these retrofit kits. HID is a dying breed anyway. The way to go now is LED.

I have had it for a while,  so no refund.   Didn't go led since you cant modulate the high beam.  Hid is great on the low beam,  just wish I could angle the high beam lower

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:19:20 PM »

I would think the TL LED with separate leads for the LB/HB could be modulated? Who says you can't?

Either way, if you can't shim or otherwise adjust the insertion position of the HID bulb, you might never bring the focus in correctly. That's why these kits are mostly outlawed for street use.

Good luck.

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:27:15 PM »

I would think the TL LED with separate leads for the LB/HB could be modulated? Who says you can't?

Either way, if you can't shim or otherwise adjust the insertion position of the HID bulb, you might never bring the focus in correctly. That's why these kits are mostly outlawed for street use.

Good luck.

Spoke to Harley,  Kurykan and Kissan (the modulator co)  and the both said modulating LED is a bad thing..... 

As far as a shim,  can anyone give me a idea?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »

As far as a shim,  can anyone give me a idea?

Never seen such an animal.  Unfortuantely the biggest part of your problem is simply mismatched parts that were never designed to be used together in the same housing.  So, not surprisingly, they don't play well together in the same housing.

Don't know a correct term.  So will make one up.  The "break line" for the HID bulbs has been much different than is the line for halogen bulbs.  Within the same housing HID bulbs need to be adjusted up (sometimes considerably) than when using halogen bulbs in the same housing.

It's not a particular problem with the bulbs or the housings.  Just a difference in the parts.  Different parts that shine differently within the same housing that weren't intended to play together are all too likely to give the problem you've described.  Also likely not an easy solution other than the obvious one of using two HID bulbs when adding an aftermarket HID kit to an existing dual bulb housing.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »

By shim, I mean having to do some custom fabrication to the housing to adjust the position of the bulb to better center it in the designed location relative to the reflector for proper focus. On the automotive side, I've seen folks take the housing out of the mount, and manually adjusting the bulb in/out, up/down in a controlled environment to help get an idea how to better position the bulb for enhanced performance. Once that is determined, use the dremel or similar to do the required adjustments, then epoxy the custom bulb mount. More often than not, it's usually a depth issue, but frankly could be anything.

Again, this is a non-issue with parts designed the work together, but I've heard countless horror stories from folks buying these universal kits, and ending up with nothing but headaches. Good lighting is just not somewhere you want to cheap out.

BTW - Getting back to the modulation of LED's, I'm not sure of that logic as many of these same players offer flashing LED's for directionals and even brakes lights. Besides, the TL's have a 3 year warranty and if they last that long, I would think that's good enough to confirm reliability.

If I were in your shoes, I'd cut my losses and try to ebay that 'kit', and get something that actually works.  The vendor doesn't know how to fix it for good reason.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:46:08 PM by mrmagloo »

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.