Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New exhaust = fried ECM and new heads!  (Read 1050 times)

nbomar

New exhaust = fried ECM and new heads!
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »

I put a d&d fat cat on this past weekend and upon completion the bike wouldn't fire. Fuel pump wasn't priming so started checking fuses to see if I grounded the O2 wires somehow and popped something. Found the ECM fuse blown. Replaced it and hit run switch and t blew again. Called my friend at the Harley service dept and he said don't worry probably a fluke accident and a wire is grounding somewhere. Had a truck come pick it up for me and bring it in only to find the ECM completely fried. New ECM ordered under warranty. Had him check the exhaust flanges since I couldn't crank for leaks and he said I used the wrong nuts when re installing the exhaust. Have no idea where I got the wrong nuts since I only had the ones from removing the factory pipes. He told me don't worry he will remove the head bolt and replace and all will be good. Then I get a phone call that the head bolt is  stripped into the head and they will be ordering me a new head! Luckily they are covering all the parts and most of the labor under warranty. Who would've known a simple exhaust kit would cause this much problems... Sheesh...

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: New exhaust = fried ECM and new heads!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »

Now thats what I call customer service.  They actually tried to do the right thing.  Wish my dealer was as customer oriented.
Jesus is Lord

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:31:37 AM »

The dealer I got mine from would have done his best to resuse doing anything with the ECM because it happened when putting an after-market exhaust on.  One happy result of the flood we had here this summer - his place was threatened so he pulled out.  Miserable b-tard.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

nbomar

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »

So the ECM wasnt fried. The o2 sensor wires had twisted when tightening the sensor into the bung and shorted out.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.