Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: DEER WHISTLES  (Read 2025 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
Re: DEER WHISTLES
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 09:34:18 AM »

I've used the wind/mechanical version whistles for years...not sure if they work or not, but I've never hit a deer either.  I have seen deer off to the side of the road take off and run the other way while being on the bike.  Now, with my regular vehicles (which I don't have the whistles on) I've seen deer either stand still or jump across in front of me.  So, it makes me believe that there is something to running those things.  A rider was killed a few years ago, not far from where we used to live, after hitting a deer.  Shortly after that is when the whistles went on my bike(s).  

I won't ever ride without them...but, I don't let the confidence factor of having them enter into my riding style either.  I tend to ride keeping in mind that I'll be the one to find the only deaf deer in the state crossing in front of me.

By the way, our insurance agent/carrier (State Farm) has given them out for free in the past...one might check with one's agent/companies to see if they do the same.  They must be of the opinion that they work.

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: DEER WHISTLES
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 06:13:53 AM »

THE ANSWER TO YOUR FIRST QUESTION IS:  ASK THE "DEER". MY FATHER HIT A PREGNANT DOE ONE NITE. HE HAD THEM ON HIS BIKE SO ID SAY THAT TYPE DID NOT. BY THE WAY THE IMPACT POPED THE FAWN OUT OF THE DOE NEITHER SURVIVED. MY DAD WAS SEVERLY HURT BUT SURVIVED.
BE CAREFUL UP THERE. [smiley=dier_13.gif] [smiley=beatdeadhorse.gif]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 06:15:19 AM by gettinold »
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.