Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anyone tried to double up floorboard extensions?  (Read 2195 times)

jls1098

anyone tried to double up floorboard extensions?
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:48:13 PM »

I've done the chrome floorboard exts. and they are very good but,,, was just wondering if anyone has doubled them up? Did it work or am I going to be the ginney-pig?

icufltrn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 fltruse
Re: anyone tried to double up floorboard extensions?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »

I wouldn't. You have already decreased the lean angle by adding the extensions. Adding another set would just be trouble. I have already hit the mounts from the floorboards since I've put them on and it doesn't hit on the floorboards which are designed to fold up. I read somewhere of someone who went down from this.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:01:32 PM »

if you need more room than the 1"  I have put on the Kuryakyn extenders moves 1" out and 1" forward very comfortable riding position
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

jls1098

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »

Thanks all. Guess I'll just stretch out and rest my toes on the pegs.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »

Good idea.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

NSTY110RIDER

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:27:30 PM »

I wouldn't.

X3

I have scraped my floorboards with 1" extensions several times and it scares the hell out of me every time !
2008 Screamin Eagle Road King

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »

There was a set of loorboard extenders on my bike when I got it. The bike was also lowered. First couple times out I was scraping boards and brackets. So I took them OFF and raised the boards to the highest setting. I still scrape, but not as often. Jonga was the one who went down when his board dug into the curve. There's a link somewhere here.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:08:39 AM »

I have the extenders on my bike and have not scraped yet but I didn't lower the front and I have traxxion ak20's. With the big Zippers AC my right foot barely touched the right floorboard now much better. If you lower the front the extenders could be more problem.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »

I installed the original Kury extenders, which are 3/4" on both my '06 SEUC and now on my '11 SERGU.  With the Ventilator A/C, that is enough room for me.  If the outside edge of the floorboard scrapes, that doesn't hurt anything, but can scare you a bit.  It's the floorboard BRACKETS scraping that you have to be real concerned about...they don't give and will lever the tire off the pavement.  A lowered bike is more likely to scrape the brackets when the 1" extenders are installed, and if you've got a lowered bike with stock suspension, the chances of problems go up considerably.

I've never had a problem with the brackets scraping on either bike, but the Traxxion Ak-20 front suspension and Legend Air Ride for the rear shocks were installed on both bikes, maintaining full (13" rear shocks) suspension height on both ends.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »

I raised my 09 SERG back to 13'' height with Traxxion & Bitubos and use Harley Goodies 1'' ext (great product and better svc I should add). Have scraped the brackets more than once  :sweatdrop: I am a little more cautious now  :huepfenjump3: As Terry pointed out the pucker factor is exponentially higher for dragging brackets vs. boards but at 6'4 I can't ever picture riding without my HarleyGoodies extensions.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »

I've done the chrome floorboard exts. and they are very good but,,, was just wondering if anyone has doubled them up? Did it work or am I going to be the ginney-pig?

Might want to take a look at this link......(the floorboards don't scrape.....it's the floorboard brackets that hit and there's no give, no room for error.....down before you even had a clue)...  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=63955.msg897354#msg897354 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »

If you are intent on extending, go to McMaster-Carr. You can get 1" diameter aluminum spacers with a 1/2" hole drilled up to 2" long in 1/4" increments.

I use a 3/4 on the left side and a 2" extension on the right due to the air cleaner assembly.
When the bike was stock (lowered) I use to hit the brackets and the boards, both sides

After raising the bike to normal EG height and adding extensions I occasionally hit the right side floorboard.

I have hit he left side bracket one time since raising the suspension, and that was a real pucker hit. But I was going too fast into the turn and the issue was not because of the extension - it was the speed.

The speed is easy to control. And the comfort that the extension adds on the right side negates the need for speed.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.