Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock ultra seat  (Read 3497 times)

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
Stock ultra seat
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »

I have a sundowner seat on my 2011 SG ,I have had it on my 08 SG and it has served me well. We just did an overnight trip to York HD factory an I saw an 11regSG with an ultra seat. It seemed to have a deeper dish then my Sundowner, Anyone know how comforable they are.?
              Thanks older guy

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Stock ultra seat
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »

I've had two ultra's, 2010 & 2012, both stock seats Suck BIG time!!! I had a sundowner seat on my 08 SG, and used it on my 2010 until it started to show some wear at the seams and I ordered a new one and still using it on my 2012 I have now.
My a$$ still hurts thinking about setting on that stock seat..............
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:46:27 PM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:04:40 AM »

Thanks for the input.
        John

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:32:37 AM »

For the record, I have a '09 FLHX and use a stock FLHTCU ('09 style) anytime I'm not puttering around town.  I have never used the Sundowner, but on other bikes, I have tried Mustang (liked), Corbin (hated) and on this bike I have the stock FLHX seat, which is a 1 hr seat, and a hammock seat, which seems to not have enough "dish" for me.  I have put about 15K on this seat including days over 1200 miles.  The FLHTCU seat will works great for me. 

I am over 300 lbs and 5' 13" tall, for reference.
Big Lew
IBA #595

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:53:40 PM »

My sundowner seems to push me forward and I am looking for a deeper dish.
        Older Guy

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:24:50 PM »

I have tried 4 different seats between my two Street Glides in the last 3 years.  I finally settled on a reach seat since I am 5' 6" and it puts me closer to the bars but my butt was numb after 100 miles  :(. So I sent the seat to Alligator Bob and he probably cut out 3/4 of the foam, put in a pro pad and covered it in leather.  It is now the most comfortable seat I have ever ridden on!   :sweetheart:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »

For the record, I have a '09 FLHX and use a stock FLHTCU ('09 style) anytime I'm not puttering around town.  I have never used the Sundowner, but on other bikes, I have tried Mustang (liked), Corbin (hated) and on this bike I have the stock FLHX seat, which is a 1 hr seat, and a hammock seat, which seems to not have enough "dish" for me.  I have put about 15K on this seat including days over 1200 miles.  The FLHTCU seat will works great for me. 

I am over 300 lbs and 5' 13" tall, for reference.

I've been watching and reading these seat threads as well. We've all played musical seats to some extent. A couple friends are telling me HD changed the touring seats amount of foam in 2010 and the 2009 seats were better with more support.

On my 05 FLHTCU I had stock, then went to Mustang touring 2 up and most recently a LePera 2 up.  We've been switching between the Mustang and Lepera trying to decide which one to keep.   I've tried a Corbin, but the wife didn't like some things about the back seat structure.

I have doubts the seat on this 2011 FLHXSE2 is going to be a keeper.  It's thin and the pan seems to have to much flex.  My riding time has been limited recently, so there's still only 400 miles on the bike.  I guess time will tell.

jcd520

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 11:02:33 PM »

My opinion , but like most HD seats the one on the FLHXSE2(stocker) is for lookin at , not for riding! I have never , ever seen a stock HD seat on any model  worth keeping if you ride much more than around town.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 02:47:09 AM »

My opinion , but like most HD seats the one on the FLHXSE2(stocker) is for lookin at , not for riding! I have never , ever seen a stock HD seat on any model  worth keeping if you ride much more than around town.

+1  That's why there's such a BOOMING aftermarket seat business!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »

We were 100 miles from home Sunday on the wife's first day long trip on the bike.  We stopped at one of our favorite dealers and she said "I don't think I can make it home on that seat, it sucks". 

There was a 09+ Ultra seat on the consignment table.

It left with us on the ride home.  We left the stock seat there to either sell, or mail home.  ;)

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 06:56:33 PM »

How was it?
    Older Guy

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »

A whole lot better than that stock seat..  Where we had to stop every 45-50 miles to give our ass a break before, we rode the entire 100 miles home without a break.  :2vrolijk_21:

Today I took it for a 250 mile ride. Granted we stopped here and there along the way, but the comfort level was much higher.

I sat on a friends sundowner on his '10 Limited today.  I think you site down lower in the seat on the sundowner than on this ultra seat I put on.  It felt a little stiffer though so I don't know how that would be actually riding 250 miles.

Ultrajeb

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC (Red)
    • CVO2: 2007 Softail Custom
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra Classic (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:00:43 AM »

When I took Delvery of my 09 in Dec-08, I hated the SE Seat, did not like the way it looked with the gray down the center and as hard as it was, did not set good. Not much on the market at that time because of the new design so I ordered a Stock Ultra Classic Seat and it was much better, did not need another seat after that, my wife & I both were comfortable.

MNTransplant

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF Veteran (12 Years), originally from Kansas

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 06:20:55 PM »

I used a sheepskin cover on my 02 Ultra and both the wife & I could do the long haul easy. On my (New to me) 09 Ultra SE4 the stock seat is way comfortable for me but the wife says it causes her to slide forward a bit but she is still comfortable, besides I wouldn't want to loose the "Heated" feature. I suppose the sheepskin from my 02 would still fit as well. Maybe the previous owner of my bike broke the seat in for me.
MNTransplant

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.