Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fairing Lowers & Fullsac Headers & 2.0" Baffles w/ SERT  (Read 2863 times)

cptmb

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE "Spiced Rum"
Fairing Lowers & Fullsac Headers & 2.0" Baffles w/ SERT
« on: October 13, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »

Bought my 2010 Spiced Rum FLHXSE new in Aug '09.  Soon afterwards I added a pair of fairing lowers, but the heat on my right leg was so intense that I couldn't stand it.  So I took the lowers off and stowed them in the garage.  Fast forward two years and I'm now preparing for a trip to the North Carolina mountains and I'm thinking I sure would like to have the lowers on the bike in the cold weather.  So, after putting 30,000 miles on the bike I finally decided to get rid of my Cat.  This forum has been so very helpful.  Reading what you guys have written on the subject of headers, slip-ons and baffles and your experiences and preferences has been eye opening.  After speaking with Steve at Fullsac (who is friendly and super knowledgeable) I decided to purchase Fullsac's X-Pipe "B" and their 2.0” CVO Muffler Cores.  I went with the SERT because my local HD dealer has much more experience with the Race Tuner than they do with the TTS.  Picked my bike up yesterday.  Dyno says 97 horsepower and 116 foot lbs of torque!  A huge improvement! Last night I put over 100 miles on and the sound of the pipes is better than I hoped.  A total stranger comlimented the sound.  The bike's performance is noticably improved.  The lowers are back on and while my leg temperature is on the warm side, it's an order of magnitude cooler than the "fire on my leg" feeling I had two years ago.  So I'm a very happy guy and I'm looking forward to seeing the autumn leaves in the Carolinas.  Thanks to you CVO Street Glide guys for making this site such a tremendous resource.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: Fairing Lowers & Fullsac Headers & 2.0" Baffles w/ SERT
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »

Bought my 2010 Spiced Rum FLHXSE new in Aug '09.  Soon afterwards I added a pair of fairing lowers, but the heat on my right leg was so intense that I couldn't stand it.  So I took the lowers off and stowed them in the garage.  Fast forward two years and I'm now preparing for a trip to the North Carolina mountains and I'm thinking I sure would like to have the lowers on the bike in the cold weather.  So, after putting 30,000 miles on the bike I finally decided to get rid of my Cat.  This forum has been so very helpful.  Reading what you guys have written on the subject of headers, slip-ons and baffles and your experiences and preferences has been eye opening.  After speaking with Steve at Fullsac (who is friendly and super knowledgeable) I decided to purchase Fullsac's X-Pipe "B" and their 2.0” CVO Muffler Cores.  I went with the SERT because my local HD dealer has much more experience with the Race Tuner than they do with the TTS.  Picked my bike up yesterday.  Dyno says 97 horsepower and 116 foot lbs of torque!  A huge improvement! Last night I put over 100 miles on and the sound of the pipes is better than I hoped.  A total stranger comlimented the sound.  The bike's performance is noticably improved.  The lowers are back on and while my leg temperature is on the warm side, it's an order of magnitude cooler than the "fire on my leg" feeling I had two years ago.  So I'm a very happy guy and I'm looking forward to seeing the autumn leaves in the Carolinas.  Thanks to you CVO Street Glide guys for making this site such a tremendous resource.

Glad you like the Fullsac... they are awesome headers. Getting rid of the friggin' CAT is the biggest part of solving the heat issue... but a good tune will let the engine run cooler, too. Fairing lowers are nice in cold weather!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

mark

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:06:14 PM »

Nice bike.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »

Getting rid of the CAT is definitely a must for knocking down a lot of the heat on the right side, but also getting that lean 14.7 AFR down to a more richer 13.7 will help keep the temps down too.  Both of my bikes have a pretty flat AFR at 13.7 and the SERGU with the de-catted stock headers runs just a bit warmer on the right side than the SESG3 with the Fulsac "x" pipe.  But both are much cooler than when they had the stock headers with the CATs in them.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 07:55:05 AM »

I recently took a 4000 mile journey on my 2011 CVO Street Glide and decided to put my lowers back on. I've kept them off in the summer because even with the doors open they still allow the heat to build up on the right side. I have V & H true dual headers and hi outout slipons.

I was a little hesitant to put them back on but I did anyway. Before leaving I removed the doors on the lowers and just packed the doors in my bags just in case. WOW! Removing the doors is like riding without the lowers on. Cool breezes all the way.

Good thing I brought the doors with me because the weather turned pretty cool (28 in the morning!)

The doors are simple to remove and install. Plus the doors back pretty small.

Good luck!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »

I recently took a 4000 mile journey on my 2011 CVO Street Glide and decided to put my lowers back on. I've kept them off in the summer because even with the doors open they still allow the heat to build up on the right side. I have V & H true dual headers and hi outout slipons.

I was a little hesitant to put them back on but I did anyway. Before leaving I removed the doors on the lowers and just packed the doors in my bags just in case. WOW! Removing the doors is like riding without the lowers on. Cool breezes all the way.

Good thing I brought the doors with me because the weather turned pretty cool (28 in the morning!)

The doors are simple to remove and install. Plus the doors back pretty small.

Good luck!

Great idea....I will try this in June on my bike trip to Key West. :2vrolijk_21:

oldnavydude

• Junior CVO Member
  • THELMA

• CVO1: :THELMA: 2012 FLHXSE3 "RUBY RED" FULLSAC X PIPE 2 1/4" FULLSAC BAFFLES SESPT TUNER 7in SMOKED FREEDOM SHIELDS
    • CVO2: :LOUISE: 1981 FLH SHOVELHEAD BAGGER 80 C.I.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »

question y'all
i recently added the FULLSAC ceramic exhaust, 2.025 FULLSAC baffles and the HD SERT. went for a nice 150 mile ride, on sunday, and the heat from the motor, was crazy hot. did i mention, it was only 65 degrees outside. when i stopped at a light, the fuel would cut off to the rear cylinder and sound like a HONDA :nixweiss: now i know it is supposed to do that, but it just wasn't that hot out. i had everything installed at the local HD shop, now i'm wondering if they screwed up the set up on the bike. any ideas. this is my fourth CVO and third 110" and never felt this much heat, any thoughts? :(

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »

question y'all
i recently added the FULLSAC ceramic exhaust, 2.025 FULLSAC baffles and the HD SERT. went for a nice 150 mile ride, on sunday, and the heat from the motor, was crazy hot. did i mention, it was only 65 degrees outside. when i stopped at a light, the fuel would cut off to the rear cylinder and sound like a HONDA :nixweiss: now i know it is supposed to do that, but it just wasn't that hot out. i had everything installed at the local HD shop, now i'm wondering if they screwed up the set up on the bike. any ideas. this is my fourth CVO and third 110" and never felt this much heat, any thoughts? :(

Did they actually tune the bike, or just stick a canned SERT map in it?  Are you sure they did anything at all other than charge you for the SERT?  The 110 runs hot regardless, but at 65 degrees, you shouldn't be cutting off the rear cylinder unless you're stuck in traffic, or sitting at a really loooooooong red light.  And, did you get the pro tuner or the one that is "street legal"?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

cptmb

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE "Spiced Rum"
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »

question y'all

oldnavydude -  It sounds like you are saying that your FLHXSE3 is running hotter since you installed the Fullsac header pipes and SERT than it was when the bike had the stock pipes on it.  Am I understanding you correctly?  If that's what you are saying then you should surely look into what TCnBham wrote in the previous post.

oldnavydude

• Junior CVO Member
  • THELMA

• CVO1: :THELMA: 2012 FLHXSE3 "RUBY RED" FULLSAC X PIPE 2 1/4" FULLSAC BAFFLES SESPT TUNER 7in SMOKED FREEDOM SHIELDS
    • CVO2: :LOUISE: 1981 FLH SHOVELHEAD BAGGER 80 C.I.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »

thanks y'all
i took it back to the shop yesturday and they fattened it up, allittle. made a heck of a difference. road trip this weekend. appreciate the feedback  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 25 queries.