Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire choices '09 RG  (Read 1369 times)

FL54

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1948 Panhead
    • CVO2: '09 SERG
Tire choices '09 RG
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »

I just took my '09 SERG in for it's 10k mile service.  Tech noted cupping on rear tire.  From reading previous threads on tire cupping, at 10k I'm about in the middle of the range on tire wear.
I've also read that Metzlers grip better but don't last as long.
What is the consensus here on the OEM Dunlops vs. Avon.
I haven't read much here on Avons and how they compare.  I'd be interested to hear about your experiences.

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
Re: Tire choices '09 RG
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:24:56 AM »

I have a 2010 Limited and put the Dunlop American Elite's on and so far satisfied.. Wearing as good as stock for Mileage.. Rear has over 15,000 miles and Front has about 10-12,000 miles..  Hope this helps..
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

PMG1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:59:20 AM »

Have the same bike. Have your dealer replace the front tire under the recall. I replaced my rear tire at 9,500 miles for cupping as well. Tire had a bad roar to it thought it was rear bearing at first. Then buy a new factory Dunlop and you get 2 new tires atthe price of 1. Also while on the rear tire have them check the rear bearings want take a second but could save you hundreds. Good luck

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:28:38 AM »

If you want to keep the high load rating, you have no choice but to stay with the stock Dunlop D407/408.

The American Elite bias ply does not come in an 18" rear tire. They do however make the right size for the front tire on our SERG's.

My rear was cupped too, and I had to replace it with the OEM Dunlop. Front isn't cupped but is getting near the wear bars at 22,000 miles, so I'll likely put the OEM Dunlop on the front next season.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:31:46 AM by North Star »
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

FL54

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »

Thanks everybody for the input.  Is there a service bulletin on the tire cupping and will the MOCO replace the tires?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »

Yes there is.  It was posted in this thread where you will also find some good information: 

New SERG Front Tire "Warranty Replacement. "

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FL54

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »

Thanks for the information.  I'm going to see what my dealer is willing to do for me on this issue.

FL54

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »

I have the Dunlop D408 on the front and a D407 on the rear.  The rear is cupped badly and the front is getting there at 10K miles.  My initial contact with the dealer resulted in them telling me that the MOCO would prorate the front tire IF it was a 407 but not a 408.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Should they warranty the front (408) or the rear (407) or both?

FL54

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »

I should have posed the question is the problem with the 407 tire itself or is it only if it is mounted on the front wheel?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:06:10 PM »

From my reply above (#5) I have done some research into tire cupping and it's causes.  I'm no expert, of course.  Here is what Dunlop says about the cause of cupping:

You may not be able to entirely avoid cupping. Tire cupping or irregular wear is a somewhat common occurrence on all vehicles. On a four-wheel vehicle, you are advised to rotate your tires periodically to even out wear. Unfortunately, you do not have this luxury with a motorcycle because front and rear tires, unlike those on a four-wheel vehicle, are not interchangeable.

However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and uneven wear on a motorcycle:

Maintain your motorcycle and particularly your front forks and suspension.

Avoid hard braking whenever possible. Braking causes the tire to grab and wear in one direction. When braking is applied to the front tire, the load transfer over-flexes the tire and increases the tendency for cupping and uneven wear.

Maintain your tire pressures. Underinflation or overinflation in motorcycle tires are significant causes of cupping and uneven wear, particularly in association with hard braking and/or trailer use.

Some of today's tires feature tread patterns and constructions that are less prone to cupping than the ribbed tires of old. The Dunlop 491, D401 and D402 touring and sport touring tires are good examples.

A Google search of what causes cupping seems to say that braking is the biggest cause followed by inflation and suspension issues.  I wonder if FL54 tends to brake with his rear... that would substantiate the above.  I tend to brake alot with the front but my first set of SERG tires cupped more at the rear.   :nixweiss:  I did get over 17K miles out of my second set so I'm not sure I can complain about that....   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FL54

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »

Thanks Greg for your time.  Actually, I tend to use the front brake more than the rear.  I do however put most of my miles two up with fully loaded bags and tourpack.  I'm wondering if the wear is more a function of weight.  In any case, I'll see what the dealer says today.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »

I have 10,000 miles  on the rear tire  and it  has plenty of life left. Had the front replaced under warranty @ 9000 miles.

FL54

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 03:34:22 PM »

Muffman
Did you have a 407 or 408 on the front wheel that was replaced under warranty?

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »

They replaced it with the 408.  Mine wasn't even cupping. I was @ a dealer in Florida last week and  I asked if they would still replace under the recall and after they measured the tread depth to see if it qualified for a no charge replacement they said no problem. Got me in right away.

FL54

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »

That's the way it should be.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.