Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelling exhaust when I ride at speed. 2010 ultra 110.  (Read 1818 times)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Smelling exhaust when I ride at speed. 2010 ultra 110.
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:56:30 PM »

I have a 2010  110 ultra with Rinehart true duels.  When I am riding at speed I smell exhaust gases from my own bike. It's like blow back or something.  Does any one ells experience this? I tried playing with the vents and it does not help. What do you think?
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

MyCVOHarley

• 2011 CVO Street Glide
Re: Smelling exhaust when I ride at speed. 2010 ultra 110.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »

I would check for leaks where the head pipe bolts to the head... good luck
Fullsac 2" re-cores, Fullsac head pipe, TTS Mastertune, Cams on there way

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:25:17 AM »

What are you using to tune with?

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:49:59 AM »

I'm having the same problem with my limited. I notice it bad on acceleration and deceleration. THe wife and I just rode to Roanoke VA on vacation via Blue Ridge Parkway and had headaches everyday. It has to be from breathing the fumes all day. One of the guys behind me Saturday even commented on my bikes exhaust fumes.  :-\
My bike runs freakin awesome and fuel mileage is great, but can't handle the fumes. I have a new map from my Tuner Master, but it's raining today here, so it will be end of the week before I can test it. :(
Either way I know it's just needs a little tweaking on the fuel map.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:21:48 AM »

I get the same thing. I thought it was because I was riding with a bunch of hogs in front of me. So I went out on my own and same thing. Did not notice it when I had the stock exhaust. But as soon as I bolted up the full system ( no cat ) I started having this problem. I to get head aches. It kind of reminds me of leaving the back window open on a station wagon and having the exhaust fumes entering the car from behind while driving, like blow back or something. I hope there is a fix to this. I dont want to loose to many brain cells if you know what I mean.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »

I'm running the same exhaust set up I had on my 2010 Limited w/Fullsac xpipe and CVO mufflers. I never had this issue with that bike. It's got me... :nixweiss: I do know I got to get this solved.

2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:17:29 AM »

:-\
I started a similar post either here or on another forum not long ago.  I wasn't getting headaches,  but was getting tired of the "smelly" clothes.  I could take a short ride just after taking a shower and putting on clean clothes and come back home smelly.

This never happened with either of my past Road Kings........except if I was in extended gridlock at a big rally in M. Beach or Daytona with hundreds of bikes around.

This is my first Ultra,  I do NOT think I have and exhaust leaks and my theory is that it's the fairing, especially the combo of the lowers being there too.  I think there must be a vacuum effect that won't allow the fumes to flow freely out behind the bike. :nixweiss:

remington007

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »

I notice this on most FL's i ride with lowers. Doesnt seem to mater what exhaust is on it. Im very sensitive to the smell of exhaust. My personal bike has no lowers and i dont have a problem. Try removing them and see if it changes.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:00:38 AM »

With your tuning, you MAY have a too rich condition on decel.
There are about 3 tables that control AFR on decel and I have had this issue on my '09 where riders behind complained of eyes burning on decel (down a mountain grade).
Leaning out the low MAP area will USUALLY take care of that, either by changing the VE's, or decel enrichment, or accel enrichment or a combination of all.

Some tuners will add more fuel at idle, low MAP, decel to help cool the motor under low (no) load.
Suggestion: get back to near stock settings on your decel/accel tables, do some test rides and see if there is a change.
This is what I did on 2 '09's and the smell went away. Hope this helps.
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.