Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Heated Grips Revisited  (Read 6125 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Heated Grips Revisited
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 10:09:34 PM »

I have over 100K miles on HD heated grips. 
1st bike- '07 (added accessory when new) - got HOT, Loved 'em.  Replaced once in 13K miles.
2nd bike '08 (added accessory when new) - got HOT, Loved 'em.  Replaced 3 times in 48K miles.  They were actually coming apart inside. 
3rd bike '10 (CVO, came stock) - only get warm, wish they got hotter.  Replaced 4 times in 48K miles.  Only the left grip has been replaced.  Service manager says the controller dies.

They would have been replaced more frequently, but I don't worry if they don't work in the summer  ;)

So they were replaced eight times in four winters?    I'd give up after the second time. :nixweiss:

Now the Gerbing gloves.......they've lasted me about six or seven years.....still working fine! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »

There has got to be a way to install the Heat Demons and use the Harley control.....after all a reostat is a reostat or am I missing something?
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »

There has got to be a way to install the Heat Demons and use the Harley control.....after all a reostat is a reostat or am I missing something?

If you pull the left grip off you'll understand why it would be difficult to make the original controller work, unless they've changed the design since I swapped mine out on the '06 for Heat Demons...after they failed the first time.  Plus, the rheostat is probably the thing that is actually failing on the grips.

I'm no electronics person, but I'm not sure the Heat Demon switch is a true rheostat.  It's either a 4 or 5 position switch (can't remember off the top of my head)...obviously it impedes voltage to the grip heaters inside the bars, but it's not a linear rheostat in the usual sense of the word.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »

Plus, the rheostat is probably the thing that is actually failing on the grips.

That is what I understand to be true. The weak link is the stock rheostat.  That's why I was hoping to secure a discarded left grip to see if there is a way to repair/improve it?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »

That is what I understand to be true. The weak link is the stock rheostat.  That's why I was hoping to secure a discarded left grip to see if there is a way to repair/improve it?

Go to your local dealer...I'm sure they have a set that went bad.   ;D :huepfenlol2:  If memory serves me (which is a big IF), the left grip's rheostat is imbedded in a plastic/silicone looking insert that sticks up inside the handlebar on the left side...when you pull the grips, that part comes out too.  It looks like...well, it looks like a small version of those battery operated things wimmens use sometimes.  ::) :o

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 11:10:02 AM »

Go to your local dealer...I'm sure they have a set that went bad.   ;D :huepfenlol2:  If memory serves me (which is a big IF), the left grip's rheostat is imbedded in a plastic/silicone looking insert that sticks up inside the handlebar on the left side...when you pull the grips, that part comes out too.  It looks like...well, it looks like a small version of those battery operated things wimmens use sometimes.  ::) :o

Looks like a cordless mixer :nixweiss: :oops: :huepfenlol2: ?

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »

No no he means a cordless vacuum cleaner :nervous: :huepfenlol2:
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »

No silly, he means a remote control.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »

No silly, he means a remote control.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:devil:

Ohhhhhh, I get it now :angel: .

That actually reminds of a.... um.... never mind.  Wrong story for this site.  ::)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 01:56:28 AM »

Never seen one disassembled - is the control only a rheostat (variable resistor) are are there electronics/controller/thermostat involved?  I expect that the heat demons have an electronic controller, most likely a PWM type of control.  That's what the Widder controller I have is.  Any type of variable resistor is going to generate heat at that component if all of the current passes thru it.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 10:53:18 AM »

Never seen one disassembled - is the control only a rheostat (variable resistor) are are there electronics/controller/thermostat involved?  I expect that the heat demons have an electronic controller, most likely a PWM type of control.  That's what the Widder controller I have is.  Any type of variable resistor is going to generate heat at that component if all of the current passes thru it.

The HD grips do have a thermostatic controller, although it is likely a very simple one, much like the heated seat.  A set range for any given rheostat setting.  I have not taken one apart though, so this is an educated guess, at best.  Whether it is in the insert on the left grip, or if it is as simple as a fixed on/off sensor in the element, I don't know.  :nixweiss:  My experience with electronics is limited to PLC's and Digital Systems controlling building HVAC, Energy Management measuring, and not at the board repair level.

My first set of grips that failed went straight into the trash can.

TTS Mastertune

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »

I bought a set of the Heat Demons but haven't installed them yet. Hopefully I can do it without taking the bars off... but the Heat Demons instructions talk about CVO bars, and some aftermarket bars like the Wild 1 Chubbys 575s I have, needing to be reamed out to an inside diameter of .875" in order for the right heater to fit in over the FBW throttle control and inside the bars. Apparently these bars come with an ID of only .835", which is too small for the Heat Demons to fit on the throttle side.

Has anyone installed the Heat Demons on a FBW throttle bike with the Wild 1 Chubbys 575 bars? If so, did you have to have the bar reamed out on the throttle side to .875"?

I think I'll call Wild 1 and ask them about the ID of the Chubbys, too. I would really like to NOT have the bars reamed if at all possible! Really don't want to have to take off the bars and take all the wires out on the right side again!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »

Has anyone had only the right grip fail?  I have.  A new right grip for my 08 CVO Ultra was $115, materials only.  Not sure how the left would work and the right didn't - I thought the grips were in series electrically...?  Anyway, ESP paid for it, minus my $50 contribution.
T
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.