Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front Wheel sizes  (Read 923 times)

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member
Front Wheel sizes
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:20:11 AM »

Has anyone played around with changing the front wheel size from a 17" to a 18"? I am thinking about putting Street Glide wheels on my Ultra but wonder if I will notice a change in the way it steers or handles in corners. Thanks for any replies.

Capt. Dave

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Front Wheel sizes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »

Has anyone played around with changing the front wheel size from a 17" to a 18"? I am thinking about putting Street Glide wheels on my Ultra but wonder if I will notice a change in the way it steers or handles in corners. Thanks for any replies.

Capt. Dave

I put an 18" wheel on the front of my '06 when I changed out both wheels.  By the time you factor in the lower profile of the 18" tire, the overall diameter of the tire/wheel combination is not significantly different than the stock configuration.  I could not tell any difference in handling, other than that caused by putting Metzler tires on at the time.  If memory serves me, the difference in diameter was only 1/2", if that.  In fact, I would have put an 18" on the rear at the time, but could not get a tire that was load rated the same as stock.  IMO, that's the main thing to look at when changing wheels...what is the load rating differences between the stock tires that are supposed to be run on the bike and what is available in the size you want to change to.  Depends on how you ride...2 up and loaded, or just you tooling around town 90% of the time.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Front Wheel sizes
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »

I have a 2012 Limited and I'm running a 19" Agitator front and 18" Rear. Absolutly no difference in handling, but I gained 1/4" ground clearance which I like much better. I had to add height to my Wheel Dock Center stand for it to work.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:31:35 PM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.