Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stereo went KABOOOOOM!  (Read 1186 times)

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
Stereo went KABOOOOOM!
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »

Saturday I was out riding and had my stereo at a mid level volume. All of the suddion there was a loud noise and then amplified motor noise coming out of both front speakers. Pulled over and played with the fade. Found out my rear speakers (connected to the sony stereo) play fine. My Front speakers connected to a biketronics 150w amp are toast! Not sure if the amp blew or the speakers or both?. There was some debate about the Infinity 2 ohm speakers and the amp. I know the amp called for 4 ohm speakers. If you read the specs for the infinity and several other speakers I have found they claim the 2 ohm speaker combines with the wiring impedence to make a true 4 ohm system and get better sound? I question that now? The speakers and amp have been on the bike for 2 years and have been blasted allot! I will post more once I get it apart to see what the damage. In the meantime I have 2 sets of Polk Audio marine grade 4 ohm speakers on the way. 5"x7" for the fairing and 6"x9" for the bag lids. I am planning to run 2 Biketronics 180w amps. One will power the 4 front speakers and one for the bags. I hope this will be a good combination?  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Stereo went KABOOOOOM!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:32:25 PM »

Its very unlikely both fron speakers went at the same time. Bypass the amp and hook the speakers directly to the head unit and you'll know right away.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »

Thanks! That's the plan.
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »

My inner fairing mount bolts are no longer ground? I ran a ground wire from my Cigerette lighter and everything worked. I used the inner fairing mount for a amp ground per the biketronics instructions. It worked for over 2 years and then out of the blue I lost my ground? Wierd Chit man!!!! New speakers and bigger amp going in now as well as saddle bag lid 6x9 speakers and a amp for them.
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

hacksaw

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »

Faceracer, I guess you've been happy with the Biketronics amp, I'm planning on making my tourpak detachable therefore I'm going to have to do an amp upgrade.  I'll probably just be running the front two speakers most of the time so I'll upgrade them with the amp.  Trying to get opinions on which way to go.  By the way I'm the one that talked with you at Rabbit Hash, I have the raked 06 ultra.  Hacksaw.
2006 UltraClassic Screaming Eagle, SERT, Rineharts, Coastal Moto wheels, raked and stretched, chrome and more chrome

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »

Faceracer, I guess you've been happy with the Biketronics amp, I'm planning on making my tourpak detachable therefore I'm going to have to do an amp upgrade.  I'll probably just be running the front two speakers most of the time so I'll upgrade them with the amp.  Trying to get opinions on which way to go.  By the way I'm the one that talked with you at Rabbit Hash, I have the raked 06 ultra.  Hacksaw.

Hey Hacksaw, The biketronics amp has worked good for me. I like the fact they are plug n play and they are suppose to have some protection for your charging system which is nice. I currently have their 180w per channel amp running my 2 Pioneer 6.5" and my 5x7" Polk marine speakers in parallel. It sounds great. The painter called me Monday and said my saddlebag lids were done and he shipped them Tuesday. I hope to have them on soon. I have a pair of Polk marine 6x9" and another biketronics 180w per channel amp. Should get the job done. Who need loud pipes when you can hear your stereo from 3 blocks away!!!! I expect some disgruntle neighbours soon! I may have to get louder pipes LMFAO!
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

hacksaw

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »

I'm probably going to just run the two speakers in the batwing and get an upgraded amp, I might have a deal on some J&M 7.5's, have you heard them?  I've alot of good about the new rokkers also.  Still deciding, tossed around the saddlebad lid speakers also.
2006 UltraClassic Screaming Eagle, SERT, Rineharts, Coastal Moto wheels, raked and stretched, chrome and more chrome

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »

No I have not heard them. I had a set of the Titan 6.5" speakers and while they were ear piercing loud they had ZERO BASS! I had my radio treble almost all the way down and bass near the top and aside from being loud they are useless! That's why I went to the 5"x7" in the fairing.
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

911Hawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide O/B
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 25 queries.