Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Why 2500 rpm?  (Read 3964 times)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Why 2500 rpm?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

Yeah, yeah, we're correcting things we didn't know about, whatever.  Doesn't answer the question - why 2500 rpm?  I've heard people say it's because the run starts around 2000 and it takes a little while for things to stablize, the change in air flow from closed to open throttle, slow moving air to accelerating air, blah blah (sounds like arm-waving to me) - would there be a similar dip at 3500 if the run was started at 3000?  I don't think so. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »

Yeah, yeah, we're correcting things we didn't know about, whatever.  Doesn't answer the question - why 2500 rpm?  I've heard people say it's because the run starts around 2000 and it takes a little while for things to stablize, the change in air flow from closed to open throttle, slow moving air to accelerating air, blah blah (sounds like arm-waving to me) - would there be a similar dip at 3500 if the run was started at 3000?  I don't think so.  

Actually what's been said, repeatedly, is that there is no dip that must be there at 2500.  If you're seeing one something in the tune, the tune methodology or the parts combination isn't as good as it could be.  But there is no predetermined nor required 2500 rpm dip.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »

Dip? What dip?
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:17 PM »

Yeah, yeah, we're correcting things we didn't know about, whatever.  Doesn't answer the question - why 2500 rpm?  I've heard people say it's because the run starts around 2000 and it takes a little while for things to stablize, the change in air flow from closed to open throttle, slow moving air to accelerating air, blah blah (sounds like arm-waving to me) - would there be a similar dip at 3500 if the run was started at 3000?  I don't think so. 
My local tuner and former HD mechanic says that the stock configuration and TQ dip is the result of lean tuning to meet EPA. He says that tuning HD engines after better intake of air and out gassing of exhaust will virtually eliminate the TQ dip in this range. He also says that certain configurations of parts make the tuning balance tougher in many cases and that a qualified tuner who takes the time can eliminate those issues as well.

Best answer I got for ya.

Any HD qualified tuners out there who can confirm?
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »

when my 2007 was new it had a minor issue, puked oil all over and ran terrible - new rings & hone & oil pump o rings etc ran several heat cycles on the dyno - i have the dyno sheet - no dip at all - nice and smooth stone stock - 10 runs - and no oil usage or leakage at all since, its dry - hence i have not changed a thing - i do oil changes and put in gas and ride it. so at least my stone stock hd has no dip in the dyno sheet. ive seen many dyno sheets of stock bikes that used to be posted to the net and stock curves were very nice and smooth, no dips.

to

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 07:22:32 AM »

all dips are not created equal.
some exhaust have dips. take a d&d fatcat (touring model) for instance,they will dip somewhat at 3000-3300 rpms. but the dip might still might be better (more hp/tq) than say a 2-2 exhaust in that same rpm.
and yes some combos.motor,exhaust, cams etc will have trouble spooling the heavy drum at low rpms on a WOT run in high gear 1:1 ratio.
then there is clutch slip, most all modified motors will show some slip down low,even with clutch upgrades. this will be reflected on the wot dyno sheet.
then there is tuning dips. fuel,timing. so it is part of what you pay for when you get a dyno tune.
 we look at the whole picture and determine what is going on.
that said...what you see on a dyno sheet is WOT in high gear (most tuners) 1:1 ratio. so 5th gear on a 5 sp and 6 th gear on a 6 speed.
so just because you see a dip @ 2500 WOT in high gear,dosent mean it dips there in a lower gear,or that you are down on hp/tq @ 2500 rpm when cruising @ part throttle.
how many times do you wack the throttle to WOT @ 2200 rpms in high gear on the street? I know some do  :nixweiss: but why?

FWIW you will never feel (SOP) a 3-5 hp/tq WOT dip @2200-2500rpms. when you are running through the gears.
and if you are cruising there,you are only making 15-20 hp anyway. (whatever it take to maintain your speed)

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 05:52:03 AM »

Why is the dip in dyno curves always at 2500 rpm?  I know it can be tuned out, at least mostly, but there always seems to be a an actual drop in torque or a decrease in the rate of climb.  Why at that specific rpm?  It doesn't appear to matter what cam is in it (which it should), or what exhaust - some are just worse.

Never say always and never...
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »

Why is the dip in dyno curves always at 2500 rpm?  I know it can be tuned out, at least mostly, but there always seems to be a an actual drop in torque or a decrease in the rate of climb.  Why at that specific rpm?  It doesn't appear to matter what cam is in it (which it should), or what exhaust - some are just worse.

Engine combination/exhaust system. :)
Scott
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.