Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When is WFO - WFO?  (Read 1775 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
When is WFO - WFO?
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »

So I notice when I get on the gas real hard, I am not twisting the throttle all the way to it's stop. The bike needs a quick twist throttle or something. So the question is: When is wide open really wide open? If I don't turn it all way to the stop am I losing something? I figure anybody that has spent some serious time on a dyno will know the answer to this.

Thanks!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: When is WFO - WFO?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »

When I'm riding it, it's WFO! :2vrolijk_21:

Not sure what the question is.  When I get on it and twist the wick, it's all the way WFO.  Is it that your grip on the throttle, before you twist it, is to high up on the throttle and you're just not able to twist it all the way? :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:13:07 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:31:50 PM »

You just turn the throttle ubtil it stops then you shift when the rev limiter kicks in. Jc just uses a toggle switch for a throttle. Its flat out or stopped. I dont like to go that fast so i just putt around :huepfenlol2:

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »

WFO when your front is off the ground and there  tire smoke rolling off  the tire
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »

Good responses! I like the front end in the air and smoke rolling of the back tire myself. Actually JC kind of nailed it, my natural grip position makes it hard to turn the throttle all the way to it's stop. I grew up dirt bikin, the last thing you want to do is a Whisky throttle because you have to much overgrip. I will need to make a conscious effort to twist the throttle all the way.

Whisky Throttle
[hwis-kee  throt-l]
-noun(s)
a temporary condition suffered by the operator of a motorized vehicle characterized by a complete loss of control, during which, the throttle is inadvertently applied in excess, often resulting in spectacular injury or distress

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »

Van, I have ridden with you and I believe there are some pictures by Wrong-way taken around the Pistachio farm on the backside of Pine Mountain where the speedo reads 110 to 111 MPH. Brings into question your statement "I just putt around"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »

Unless I make a conscious decision to modify my normal hand position on the grip at idle, I also find it difficult to rotate the throttle to the stop.  A 90° rotation is a little more than my wrist is capable of making from the natural starting position.  In the old days, we could buy racing "quick throttles" to reduce the amount of rotation required, and for real racing they were OK.  For normal street riding, they usually resulted in jerky low speed maneuvering and difficulty maintaining a steady speed (every little bump in the road would cause a throttle reaction).  But now, with the electronic throttle controls being offered by many manufacturer's, the potential exists for an easy answer that can solve the WOT problem while not making normal cruise too sensitive.  What's needed is a variable response curve, which should be quite easy to program into the ETC system if the manufacturer or an aftermarket company chose to do so.  I envision a curve that is basically a 1:1 ratio for the first 50% (45°) or so of grip travel, then progresses rapidly such that WOT would be achieved at perhaps 65° to 70° of rotation rather than 90°.  One of the aftermarket companies already markets something to eliminate the low speed lag in the Harley ETC, maybe they will decide to use the same technology to offer a variable rate electronic "quick throttle".  I have no personal experience with the software, but I kind of wonder if there isn't already a capability with software like that from TTS MasterTune to make such adjustments to the response curve.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »

Van, I have ridden with you and I believe there are some pictures by Wrong-way taken around the Pistachio farm on the backside of Pine Mountain where the speedo reads 110 to 111 MPH. Brings into question your statement "I just putt around"

Van knows that one was flyin to far.  Not to long ago he self confessed to another member of this forum over dinner that he'd just came down out of the mountains at 110-115 mph "puttin around".......while the rest of us were doing our best to keep up.   The 6th photo down in this thread is the "oh chit" look on Van's face as we all learned that the new member of the forum that Van just fessed up in front of, is a CHP officer in the valley!  :o :o       http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65945.msg920880#msg920880      The look on Van's face was priceless.    :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:  
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »

The memories! Oh how I long for our SLOWER days!

When I'm riding it, it's WFO! :2vrolijk_21:

Not sure what the question is.  When I get on it and twist the wick, it's all the way WFO.  Is it that your grip on the throttle, before you twist it, is to high up on the throttle and you're just not able to twist it all the way? :nixweiss:

Like I have said before, this is why I enjoy riding with you, anytime.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:37 PM »

Van knows that one was flyin to far.  Not to long ago he self confessed to another member of this forum over dinner that he'd just came down out of the mountains at 110-115 mph "puttin around".......while the rest of us were doing our best to keep up.   The 6th photo down in this thread is the "oh chit" look on Van's face as we all learned that the new member of the forum that Van just fessed up in front of, is a CHP officer in the valley!  :o :o       http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65945.msg920880#msg920880      The look on Van's face was priceless.    :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:  
LOL!!!  :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »

I don't see anything but a bridge for the 6th picture  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 03:17:16 AM »

I don't see anything but a bridge for the 6th picture  :nixweiss:

You're right.....I posted the wrong link.  Try the 7th pic down in this link.....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65945.msg920880#msg920880

West Coast GTG   

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.