Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corrosion – Oil Cooler Mounting Plate  (Read 882 times)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Corrosion – Oil Cooler Mounting Plate
« on: December 22, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

Just did the final oil change before putting the bike away for the winter, while I was under the bike I noticed that the plate that the oil cooler mounts to on the frame had some damage - most likely from rocks.

Closer inspection revealed pitting and rust, I don't ride after the salt is on the road so the fact that there is rust forming here is a bit of a concern.

Maybe this is the reason why the moco hasn't changed the positioning of the oil filter in decades, this way we can always ensure this area remains lubricated during an oil change?  :soapbox:

I didn't take any photos before I ground it down and repainted it.

Anybody know of anything that could be placed here to prevent this from happening again? I have a chrome oil cooler cover currently.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Corrosion – Oil Cooler Mounting Plate
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:55:51 AM »

Just did the final oil change before putting the bike away for the winter, while I was under the bike I noticed that the plate that the oil cooler mounts to on the frame had some damage - most likely from rocks.

Closer inspection revealed pitting and rust, I don't ride after the salt is on the road so the fact that there is rust forming here is a bit of a concern.

Maybe this is the reason why the moco hasn't changed the positioning of the oil filter in decades, this way we can always ensure this area remains lubricated during an oil change?  :soapbox:

I didn't take any photos before I ground it down and repainted it.

Anybody know of anything that could be placed here to prevent this from happening again? I have a chrome oil cooler cover currently.

I have the same problem but not that bad as you described. Repainting might get you through another year but you should consider getting the pieces powdered coated maybe with the pure epoxy or polyurethane blend. I've seen demos with the pure epoxy blend showing a guy whacking with ball-peen hammer on a coated piece of steel and the coating was not chipping, the stuff is strong and chip proof.    :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:00:32 AM by cvobiker »

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 25 queries.