Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcycle Deaths Increase in 2011  (Read 1597 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Motorcycle Deaths Increase in 2011
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:19:19 PM »

Found this online today.  Just food for thought.  BE CAREFUL!

Dan

Motorcycle Deaths Remain High
Study suggests that repeal of helmet laws, boom in bike sales and high gas prices all contributed to high number of fatalities.

The repeal of helmet laws for motorcyclists plus a boom in motorcycle sales and increased ridership due to high gas prices all contributed to a high number of motorcycle-related deaths in 2011. According to a new study released by the Governors Highway Safety Association, preliminary data show there were roughly 4,500 motorcycle fatalities in the U.S. that year.

“The big message is we still have a problem with motorcycle fatalities,” James Hedlund of Highway Safety North, a consulting firm that prepared the GHSA report, told The New York Times. “I had hoped that the decrease in motorcycle fatalities two years ago was the beginning of a turnaround and the decline would continue, but it hasn’t.”
For 12 straight years, from 1996 to 2008, motorcycle fatalities were on the rise. Then in 2009, the rate dropped by 16 percent, only to increase slightly in 2010.
Historically, an increase in motorcycle ridership has brought more fatalities. When the economy began to improve in 2011, a spike in motorcycle sales put more riders on the road. Since motorcycles get good gas mileage, higher gas prices in 2011 also brought out more motorcyclists.

Speeding and alcohol impairment are two other factors contributing to motorcycle fatalities. In 2010, 29 percent of fatal crashes involved drivers with blood alcohol levels above the legal limit, and 35 percent of drivers were speeding.

Not surprisingly, the repeal of helmet laws has also had a significant impact on fatalities. According to reporting by The New York Times, in 1975 all but three states required motorcyclists to wear helmets; today just 19 states mandate them. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration chief David Strickland told the Detroit News, "Every state that has repealed their mandatory helmet law has unfortunately seen a requisite increase in fatalities in motorcycle crashes."

The GHSA report comes on the heels of last month's announcement by NHTSA that motor-vehicle fatalities overall dropped by 1.7 percent in 2011, hitting the lowest level since 1949.

EVERYONE:  Please stay safe!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:22:37 PM by lilcoot »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Motorcycle Deaths Increase in 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »

Study suggests that repeal of helmet laws, boom in bike sales and high gas prices all contributed to high number of fatalities.

I suppose if a boom in bike sales and high gas prices have put more motorcyclist on the roads, that would mean there are more targets out there to be run over by inattentive, cell phone using, texting and just plain careless four-wheeled drivers  - which seems to be the dominant cause of most motorcycle fatalities around here anyway....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »

.......and more importantly, more inexperienced riders on the road.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »

I suppose if a boom in bike sales and high gas prices have put more motorcyclist on the roads, that would mean there are more targets out there to be run over by inattentive, cell phone using, texting and just plain careless four-wheeled drivers  - which seems to be the dominant cause of most motorcycle fatalities around here anyway....

There is no doubt that cage drivers still tend to ignore or "fail to see" bikers, turning in front of them or just running over them, but around here there seems to be a lot of single vehicle crashes as well.  Inexperienced folks riding drunk without proper safety equipment is an especially stupid and lethal combination that has been in the local news all too often lately.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »

There is no doubt that cage drivers still tend to ignore or "fail to see" bikers, turning in front of them or just running over them, but around here there seems to be a lot of single vehicle crashes as well.  Inexperienced folks riding drunk without proper safety equipment is an especially stupid and lethal combination that has been in the local news all too often lately.

Jerry

Jerry,
What is the proper safety equipment for riding drunk?  :confused5: Not that I want to try it out. My proper safety equipment is kickstand down and bike locked up for the nite. :o
I do not ride while drinking, found out I spill too much. ;)
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »

Jerry,
What is the proper safety equipment for riding drunk?  :confused5: Not that I want to try it out. My proper safety equipment is kickstand down and bike locked up for the nite. :o
I do not ride while drinking, found out I spill too much. ;)Mike
 :drink:

:2vrolijk_21:    ;D

Proper safety gear for riding drunk?  That would probably be a bus ticket or taxi cab.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »

Jerry ... you always thinkin ... LOL ... ME?? I never think ...

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.