Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BAD ENGINE PERFORMANCE  (Read 1571 times)

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
BAD ENGINE PERFORMANCE
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:20:18 PM »

I have had my 02 SERK for about 1 year, I love the bike, I have put about 14,000 miles on it in this time and have no real issues as far as how the bike performs except for an occ spit out of the intake coming off idle. Lately i started getting a miss in the motor, the bike seemed to act lean, it have a open scream'n eagle air cleaner and V & H slip ons that was put on by the previous owner. I took it to a local shop last week I wanted the download checked, I just found out that it has the original download in it. The problem I am having with most of all of this is why would this bike seem to run so well for all of these miles and now I have this problem? The mechanic ordered the correct download from the factory for my combo, he is supposed to install it tomorrow, I am hoping for the best but am still a little worried that this may not take care of the problem. Has anybody out here had any similar issues show up. I keep hearing reports of up to 50,000 to 70,000 miles of great performance with just regular scheduled maint. I just turned over 22,000 miles on this bike. If there are any experts in this field please respond with any expierence you have come across. Thanks, Jeff :( :(

ashcraft

Re: BAD ENGINE PERFORMANCE
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 08:38:27 PM »

my 2002 SERK developed a stumble or miss over the weekend. Its only got 12K miles. I changed the plugs, tightened the primary chain, checked all fluid levels, and it seems to have gone away.
So far....
The funny thing was I stopped to help another biker, and put my flashers on. After 5-10 minutes, I turned the flashers off and tried to start the bike. Its always started right off, but this time it turned over for 10-15 seconds before it caught, and then ran real rough. I stopped the engine, restarted it and everything was normal. It was almost like an electrical gremlin caused by the flashers.
Battery is good, and I can't get it to repeat.
2K2 SERK, purple
2K3 FF Electra-glide Classic

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 02:21:49 PM »

my 2002 SERK developed a stumble or miss over the weekend. Its only got 12K miles. I changed the plugs, tightened the primary chain, checked all fluid levels, and it seems to have gone away.
So far....
The funny thing was I stopped to help another biker, and put my flashers on. After 5-10 minutes, I turned the flashers off and tried to start the bike. Its always started right off, but this time it turned over for 10-15 seconds before it caught, and then ran real rough. I stopped the engine, restarted it and everything was normal. It was almost like an electrical gremlin caused by the flashers.
Battery is good, and I can't get it to repeat.

you know what they say.
if it aint broke, don't fix it!! ;)

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 07:40:57 PM »

Thanks for your input, this may turn out to be helpful in the long run. How ironic!! I had my mechanic hook me up to the Scanylizer Thurs, it showed 50 trips of the turn signal/ security system, I still have not found the problem, I put a brand new battery in today although all test on it showed good, since it was the original I thought "what the heck", NO LUCK, still does it. I thought I would try it before lifting the tank and searching for a short somewhere. Your little problem is VERY interesting, hopefully it will never raise it's ugly head again. thanks again,  Jeff

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 10:49:12 PM »

After the response from ashcraft I am starting to really think that my security/flasher system may be causing my misfiring. My scan reflected a problem in this area, then ashcrafts weird issues, and my security system has not worked for several months, I cannot get any response from the FOB when it use to work good. Can anybody our there enlighten me some on this system? I follow instructions in the manual, but I get to the step where the FOB is suppose to activat it I get nothing, is there a way to test these things. can anybody out there help out on these things? Is this such a complicated system and motorcycle that a normal gearhead like me has no chance of ever troubleshooting issues like these?? Thanks for anything anyone can add. Jeff

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 08:59:08 AM »

The security system will not male the motor run bad - they are completely independent that way.  Also, 10 minutes of flashing shouldn't compromise a good battery.  As for the running, I would do a fuel pressure test and MAKE SURE that when you turn off the power, it holds pressure.  If it drops right to zero, there is a hole in a line inside the tank.  
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 09:35:06 AM »

Thanks one scream'n eagle for the reply this will be very helpful in getting to the bottom of this issue. I have been thinking a fuel pressure problem but the manual I have does not cover anything as far as diagnosing a problem with the system, just tells you how to take it out of the tank and put it back in, this is the damnest manual I have ever seen, it is almost worthless as far as trouble shooting components. How do you test the pump??? What pressure should it hold and maintain?? I know now that there is another manual avail for electrical diagnostics, but will this be covered in there?? I haven't went out and spent that $60.00 bucks yet. Thanks again

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:14:42 PM »

Delphi Uses a 4 bar (metric spec) pressure regulator inside the tank.  Off the top of my head, the range you should see is 55-62 psi.  Now, a big hole in the internal line will still show that pressure, because it takes nothing to keep the flywheels turning in neutral.  Ideally you would have it on a dyno and see that it holds pressure under load at high rpm.  But the quickest tell tale for a hole is the test that it should hold pressure when turned off.  It may go down a couple of psi when turned off, but if it drops to zero, you have a leak, and that is a bad thing.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 06:15:42 PM »

Thanks again for the info, You sound like a guy that knows his stuff on these bikes, this is my first as far as the computer and FI. It just seems like they don't expect a regular guy to even try to figure out any problem. I just hate that, I have never had a bike or a car for that matter in a shop in my life other than front end alignments. I have always figured it out and got it fixed, and if you are smart enough, and have a GOOD manual you usually can get it done. These things so far to me just seem like a parts swapping party untill you come across the right thing that fixes it. What do the dealers do? hook it up on the dyno, then start changing out compomnents untill they find it?? Does it take a special fitting and guage to hook in line with FI unit to test for fuel pressure? Is there a GOOD manual out there that will tell you the info that I need?? How did you become such an expert on these bikes? You had to start somewhere. I have the bike sitting in a reputable shop right now, it has been there a week and he hasn't touched it yet, I am stasrting to think he is a reluctant to get into it because of the same reasons I have with working on it. He has no dyno. will he even have a chance to stumble across the problem , maybe by luck. I am just fustrated by the whole thing right now, $22,000 bike and there it sits. Maybe I ought to build me an old shovel, get a good set of points and a mikuni carb and go rinding.  Thanks again for your help

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 25 queries.