Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Polished Stainless Steel Hardware Kits?  (Read 5408 times)

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
Polished Stainless Steel Hardware Kits?
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »

I have been considering a polished stainless steel hardware kit for my motor, primary & trans covers. Someone asked about these kits on another forum and people seem to think that stainless is weaker than the stock bolts and may break. Their reasoning is that stainless will not stretch and tends to be more brittle. The mfg. of these kits claim they are stronger than stock. I know some of the CVO guys must have these kits on their bikes. Please tell us the good bad and ugly before I blow over $200 for a kit. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

FACE

Diamond Engineering http://depss.com/

Alloyboltz http://alloyboltz.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1785
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:46:16 AM by faceracer »
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Polished Stainless Steel Hardware Kits?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

Not if you use high carbon stainless steel fasteners.  Check and see if the hardware you plan on using can be attracted to a magnet, if so it is a high carbon stainless.
Jesus is Lord

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »

Personal opinion?  I have thought of going that route but I have heard bad things about the finish over time.  Also, it's a lot of work to replace all those.  I decided to buy Hot Toppers (off brand) on E-Bay for $64.95 and it covers most of the engine & tranny and other misc parts like brake calipers.....I think they do the trick by covering up the cheap crap HD uses, their quick and easy to install.  I had them on my last bike too.  No one bends over and notices, however they do notice the dull stock allen heads HD uses.  Just a thought, it worked well for mE?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »

I had a complete chromed stainless builders kit from Gardener - Wescott on my 2004 RG and now on my SERG.  I have never experienced any chipping or peeling and would not hesitate to put a set on my next bike.  The cadmium bolts HD uses are OK but nowhere near the same quality.   BTW, they are also toxic and being discontinued in many industries.   Most Harley dealers carry the Gardener - Wescott kits.  You can also get them online. 

I am fond of the Hot Toppers.  While they may be easier to install the first time, you must reinstall them each time you work on the bike.  Just my opinion but I don't like to use a cover when I can use the real thing.  To each his own. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Firewalker

• Firewalker.
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 non-CVO Road King Classic
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:20:19 PM »

Always be aware that stainless steels do not like 'lead, sulfur, or halogens'. Long term, in particular the halogens, can cause inter-granular cracking, stress corrosion cracking. One will probably never see this on their bike however it is a metallurgical consideration to be aware of.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »

I put the Diamond Engineering 12 pt polished stainless on my 05, 60 k miles ago and they still look great.

kr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:49:51 AM »

Used HD stainless on my SEEG and Alloybotz on the Convertible.  Have had no issues with either and they really add to the finish of the bike IMO.  You use different torque specifications and, of course, an anti-seize compound. I didn't find it to be much work...it is a nice winter project, adding a few new bolts each weekend.  The folks at Alloybotz are exceptional. Give them a bolt and they will polish, turn as needed, any bolt you want and the response time is excellent.  Only problem I have had is, once you start adding, the other bolts look so bad in contrast you can't stop replacing them. 

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »

I prefer stainless and all I use.  As far strength vs. stock, stainless will win hands down, just make sure you don't buy some Chinese knock off.. There is a handful of company's in the US providing awesome good quality fasteners and you'll pay about 20% more, but it's all worth it.  Stainless got my vote  :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »

Hogasm on the site here is a dealer for stainless bolts.

iPhone using Tapatalk
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:32 PM »

As far strength vs. stock, stainless will win hands down, just make sure you don't buy some Chinese knock off.

Then you might want to consider staying away from what H-D is offering as their stainless hardware.  You might want to compare tensile and shear numbers between stainless hardware and standard high carbon hardware if you think stainless is stronger. Because you would be wrong to think that "stainless will win hands down". If stainless is stronger then why don't you see it being used in applications like connecting rod bolts?  Stainless will never compete with high carbon steel hardware for strength, never.
Jesus is Lord

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »

As far strength vs. stock, stainless will win hands down, just make sure you don't buy some Chinese knock off.

Then you might want to consider staying away from what H-D is offering as their stainless hardware.  You might want to compare tensile and shear numbers between stainless hardware and standard high carbon hardware if you think stainless is stronger. Because you would be wrong to think that "stainless will win hands down". If stainless is stronger then why don't you see it being used in applications like connecting rod bolts?  Stainless will never compete with high carbon steel hardware for strength, never.

Im pretty sure HD bolts are Chinese knock off's. Im not saying i do know this, but there are far more US bolt fastener companies in the US to choose from then resort to HD trash (JMHO)..  Also, bear in mind, the question is reference to chrome vs. stainless steel hardware kits, meaning engine case fasteners trans case fasteners, etc, etc..   Now I'm comparing strength against this category and will stick to my claim,  Stainless will win hands down against comparable chrome and or stock fasteners..    Now if you want to talk about connecting rod bots? Start another thread,, that could be an interesting one to,,  I have my opinion there as well.   :2vrolijk_21:

NutsandBolts affiliated with northwest fasteners is one of my favorite fastener suppliers, check m' out    www.nutsandbolts.com/v10-stainless-steel-grade.html  http://www.northwestfastener.com/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:48:49 AM by cvobiker »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »

I have been considering a polished stainless steel hardware kit for my motor, primary & trans covers. Please tell us the good bad and ugly before I blow over $200 for a kit. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

FACE

Diamond Engineering http://depss.com/

Alloyboltz http://alloyboltz.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1785

Polished SS is the only way to go.  Chrome will chip & rust.  I've used Diamond and Alloyboltz.  Both are great.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »

Polished SS is the only way to go.  Chrome will chip & rust.  I've used Diamond and Alloyboltz.  Both are great.  spyder

Understand that they eventually may chip but I've become a fan of the chrome 12 point bolts that are all over the Road King project.  No hole in the center to collect moisture and rust so won't have that issue.  A byproduct that I've come to appreciate is that when they're used all over the bike you end up only needing four tool sizes to work on almost anything on the bike.  Six sizes do cover everything.  Will make for a smaller tool kit to carry.

Firewalker

• Firewalker.
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 non-CVO Road King Classic
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »

We keep discussing strengths here. Carbon steel runs about 65K-70K; most of your stainless steels up through from 308-316 run in the range of 75K-85K. But then you can throw in your common Chrome Moly steels which run a minimum of 80K-90K and higher.
One other factor when using the stainless, if that is what you want to use, which is certainly a personal choice is that the coefficient of expansion for Stainless is much different that Carbon Steel, so if heat is a factor make sure to give it the consideration that it is due, particularly if you are joining two dissimilar metals.
Ride safe.... Firewalker.

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 25 queries.