Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Tech Zumo 660/phone/iPod  (Read 3272 times)

High Tower

Road Tech Zumo 660/phone/iPod
« on: January 29, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »

First….I don’t want to be talking on the phone all the time I’m riding the bike…but…it drives me nuts to not know how, or have a gadget not do what it’s supposed to do.

Having said that;

I have a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra that came with a Road Tech 660 Zumo and an iPod hardwired in the side case.  Everything works like it’s supposed to except the phone.  The 660 will pair (Bluetooth) with the phone and I can place a call using the pad on the 660, but I can’t hear it.  This evening I headed for the garage determined to figure it out!  Here’s what I came up with.  Occasionally I would hear the phone ringing, but couldn’t do it consistently.  After each time getting the phone to come through the headset and ending the call I would hear the iPod playing in the background.  This is where it gets weird.  The iPod mode is not selected on the radio.  I had it on FM.  So I disconnected the iPod and the phone worked every time!

Am I missing something….anyone else had theirs do the same thing?

Thanks

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Road Tech Zumo 660/phone/iPod
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »

Lots of post on this one but we will start another.

First you have a GPS with Bluetooth a Navigation Interface Module (NIM) and an IPod.

The NIM is a module that allows the radio to automatically switch the output of the radio from any operating function (AM, FM, CD, etc.) to the GPS. In plain text say you are heading out the door to go to a friends new house but you have never been there before and your friend gave you his new address since you told him you have a GPS on the bike. OK you input his address and tell the GPS to GO there. Now you like to listen to your favorite radio station while you are riding so you put the radio on that station. You are tooling down the road and there is a turn prompt coming up. The GPS sends a signal to the NIM, the NIM automatically switches the output of the radio (was the FM station) to the GPS and you hear the turn prompt. A few seconds after the turn prompt ends the NIM tells the radio to return to your FM station and you start listening to your FM radio station. This is what the NIM does for you. The NIM will only work on the Harley version of the Zumo 660 or 665 (Harley Road Tech) it will not work on a regular Zumo 660 or 665. The NIM will only interupt the radio for a turn prompt, it will not interupt the radio for a phone call or MP3 song comming from the GPS (Turn Prompt Only).

For the NIM to function the GPS audio output has to be connected to it and it is. If you want to hear a phone call or listen to MP3 songs that you have loaded into your GPS the Audio Output of the GPS must go to the Auxiliary Input on the radio. remember that it is now connected to the NIM. So you have to split the audio output from the GPS so that you are connected to both the NIM and the Auxiliary Input on the radio. You do this with a Y splitter. After you have done this in order to hear a phone call or listen to the MP3 songs your radio must be in the AUX input mode. Remember the NIM only works for Turn Prompts.

Now to talk on the phone while riding you need a helmet microphone interface such as the H-D Bomm (www.hdbomm.com). Note that I said riding. You can talk on the phone while you are sitting still by using the built in microphone on the GPS but this microphone becomes useless at 10 miles an hour so you need to use your helmet microphone.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

High Tower

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »

Thanks for the response Jim.  I did a quick check of my HD catalog and HD parts on line.  I didn’t see a Y splitter listed.  Is it simply a 3.5mm plug that runs from the GPS out to the radio in?  This issue sounds like an oversight on the part of HD.  The only reason, in my thinking, to Bluetooth to the Garmin is to use a phone.  HD put a Bluetooth unit on the bike and hardwired it in and advertised the abilities of the bike Garmin combo.  But, in order to use the feature one has to purchase an external connection that could have been part of the wiring from HD.

Jeff

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »

You will need both these in order to split the signal from your Road Tech Zumo to both the NIM and the Aux input of your radio.  The Y-harness splits the signal and the cable runs from the y-harness out to the aux input of your radio.

Audio Y-harness, p/n 6920023 and cable, speaker/audio, stereo p/n 92389-08

You can also buy these at an electronics store like Radio Shack if you prefer.

In any case, as Jim said, you can only 'listen' to what is coming from the gps.  If you want to pair your phone and be able to talk thru your headset mike then you'll need the H-D Boom or equivalent.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »

That would be H-D Bomm with 2 m's, not Boom with 2 o's. Although it looks like it could go Boom!  :orange:

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:27:29 AM »

That would be H-D Bomm with 2 m's, not Boom with 2 o's. Although it looks like it could go Boom!  :orange:

Jim
Oops, sorry 'bout that.  My bad.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

High Tower

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »

Thanks for the help.  I'm going with Jim's approach given that I don't listen to AM/FM.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.