Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magnet in Oil Filter  (Read 1775 times)

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
Magnet in Oil Filter
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »

Any body heard of this? I've read of a wrap, around filter. In the filter at intake of filter..
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: Magnet in Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

Limited Lou, I have see the kinds that wrap part way around the outside of the filter, and also the ones that lay on the end(bottom) of filter. The ones that attach to bottom filter wouldn't work on K&N because of the nut sticking out. I don't have any experience with either. Maybe that is using one would cut their filter open and see if any metal shavings were attached to side or bottom. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:35:51 AM »

And they don't do anything for the aluminum and other metals that can get into the oil.  It might help you collect some of the pieces after somehting blows up, but the filter is supposed to stop those too.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »

And they don't do anything for the aluminum and other metals that can get into the oil.  It might help you collect some of the pieces after somehting blows up, but the filter is supposed to stop those too.

;)  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Consider if you will that there is already a magnet in your oil system, on the drain plug, and if your experience is the same as mine there is rarely much of anything on that magnet at oil change time, at least after the initial oil change on a new engine.  If anyone thinks they really have that much iron and steel floating around in their oil, I'd suggest they get to a good mechanic right away and get that engine torn down and fixed.

Unlike some of the other products being hawked for Harley's, at least the magnet deal on the filter isn't going to hurt anything other than your wallet.  As noted above, the filter already catches any big stuff, and a magnet doesn't do much with the aluminum and other nonmagnetic metals prevalent in a Harley engine anyway.  Save your money.  Or perhaps you could mount the magnet on the fuel line to precondition the fuel for a more efficient and powerful burn.  I understand they also sell them in bracelets as a cure for arthritis.  Personally, I use my magnets to hold stuff on the refrigerator or to retrieve those damned screws that always fall into dark holes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:44:21 AM »

And they don't do anything for the aluminum and other metals that can get into the oil.  It might help you collect some of the pieces after somehting blows up, but the filter is supposed to stop those too.

Interesting site that someone sent me on the magnets on drain plug.. Check out the videos.....   www.drainplugmagnets.com    
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:21:04 AM by Limited Lou »
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »

If you need a big honkin' magnet, to keep the "stuff" out your oil, me thinks that the engine should be looked at.
Scott

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »

If you need a big honkin' magnet, to keep the "stuff" out your oil, me thinks that the engine should be looked at.
Scott

Well I guess it's how you look at this w/magnet.. I call it more protection.. It surely can't hurt. I believe it can do some help..  just saying..
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

2010 FLHX

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:30:14 AM »

I remember back about 1979 out in BFE . . . the locals were taking "cow magnets" (3/4" dia. and about 3" long, they put them in the stomach of cows to keep the shrapnel the cows eat in the pastures from going through the gut.) "cow magnets" and taping them around the fuel lines. These magnets were supposed to "align fuel molecules" -- or something.

Yeah . . . and then there was this pyramid scheme chain letter going around too . . .

There are magnets in my posture perfect pillow -- (and my ears still ring.) I have a memory foam mattress, and I still forget stuff . . .

:D

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 03:00:09 PM »

Well I went and got a "DIMPLE" magnetic oil plug. Will change oil in 4,000 miles and see what turns up if anything.. What I can say is the magnetism on the new plug is night and day difference, more powerfull than stock.    check out this site on oil plug magnets..  www.cyclesolutionsonline.com   
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »

Well I went and got a "DIMPLE" magnetic oil plug. Will change oil in 4,000 miles and see what turns up if anything.. What I can say is the magnetism on the new plug is night and day difference, more powerfull than stock.    check out this site on oil plug magnets..  www.cyclesolutionsonline.com   

Well I did my first oil change (50,000) after installing the New Dimple oil plug. I did collect alittle bit of shavings.. On my stock plug on the 15,000 mile oil change had NO shaving.. So I went about 5 oil changes with less protection with the oil plug... Wish I would of learned sooner about the stronger plug..  Hope this helps...
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

Felos

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »

Just had the 45000 mile service done on my 2005 flhtcse2.  They replaced the oil plug as it had slid out about an eighth of an inch.

Felos

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »

Sorry.  The magnet had slid out 1/8.

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 25 queries.