Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '03 Twin Cam Engine Hesitation  (Read 1474 times)

Pearson33

'03 Twin Cam Engine Hesitation
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:00:53 PM »

After 72,000 miles I sent my '03 Twin Cam 88 engine back for a factory rebuild.  Since coming back I occasionally experience 1 - 2 second engine hesitation issues when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd at very low speeds (less than 20 mph).  Problem never happens at cruising speed.  Dealer says it cannot need a new "mapping" but doesn't have good idea as to cause.  Any ideas?

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
Re: '03 Twin Cam Engine Hesitation
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 05:47:24 AM »

After 72,000 miles I sent my '03 Twin Cam 88 engine back for a factory rebuild.  Since coming back I occasionally experience 1 - 2 second engine hesitation issues when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd at very low speeds (less than 20 mph).  Problem never happens at cruising speed.  Dealer says it cannot need a new "mapping" but doesn't have good idea as to cause.  Any ideas?

It's practically a guarantee that the engine and the mapping are not the culprit.  As the engine was removed, I would be looking at the basics - wiring connections, broken injector wire making intermittent contact at the connector (common on that vintage), intake leaks (typically would have other symptoms)

At slow speeds, the engine is really vibrating/rocking as opposed to cruise, and this is when you will notice intermittent connections and the like.

Always start with the basics.  Hope this helps. 
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Pearson33

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »

After a lot of trial and error the dealer discovered it was a bad engine temperature sensor.  The eventual clue to the problem was when the idle rpm's starting ramping up all by themselves when sitting at a long red light.  The engine would then typically stall when I tried to throttle up.  So far - so good with 400 miles on the bike since the repair.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:59:25 PM »

other than the minor problem - how did the factory rebuild go? worth it?

to

Pearson33

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »

Probably too early to tell about the factory rebuild.  This is a basic twin cam 88 with no enhancements of any sort - not even the exhaust.  So it isn't a great performer.  Since the rebuild, it may be a little more quiet and perhaps throws out a little more power.  But can't tell for sure.

I had no choice in the rebuild as one of the cams was pretty much destroyed by its bearing.  Threw engine filings throughout the engine.  No choice but to rebuild with about 70,000 miles.  Hopefully the engine is now good for another 50,000 - 60,000 miles.

By the way, the engine rebuilds are now done by S&S.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »

while i always read all about hopped up engines and love them

i had my fill off keeping the things running in the late 70's and early 80's trying to hop them up to go faster...... and run stock or nearly stock now, they really do last longer that way.

i didnt realize that s&s does the rebuilds - do they still put original numbers on the case if the case is bad? ive never seen a article on what they do now.

to

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.