Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HK stereo / Bluetooth  (Read 1412 times)

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
HK stereo / Bluetooth
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »

I want to be able to Bluetooth anything that comes out of my stereo to my helmet. HD does not make anything I can find, does anyone else have any ideas or know of a product to do this...
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
Re: HK stereo / Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:59:47 PM »

try this site member/vendor " bissjim " he might be helpful    CHEERS  :drink:  :pumpkin:

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »

I have been playing with this for over a year now, just playing, I do not thing I will develop it any further. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is the cost and the second and most important reason is the battery life of the helmet Bluetooth device. The battery life of most of the Bluetooth devices that I have tested will last 10 to 15 hours in standby mode, which is good. The problem comes when you start streaming audio, once you start that then the battery will only last about 5 hours or less depending on what type of battery is being used in the helmet Bluetooth device. This is a very big drawback to me and I think in the end it will be a major drawback to most riders. If I sell something I want it to perform and even though I can build the dongle which uses bike power so that is not a problem it will not work all day because of the helmet Bluetooth battery. What good is it if you have to stop and charge your helmet every 4 to 5 hours. The battery in my IPhone is 10 times as large as the battery's I have found for use in a helmet Bluetooth device and my phone battery will go bye bye in about 6 hours if I stream audio from it.

www.hdbomm.com

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »

Thanks Jim for the response. Good points I had not considered. Might just have to go back to the iPod in the pocket and an extra set of speakers in the helmet.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »

I've got the now old style N-Com helmets Jim.  Mine is actually old enough it was an import bought from a London shop I hit on a trip once well before they were available stateside.  So it is an example of early tech for these things.

The battery life is as you suggest.  A bit over a half day when streaming music from the phone or GPS unit.  It's never been a big deal to ride with the DC charger plugged in to the helmet though.  It's actually rarely been necessary as I get tired of hearing the music while riding after an hour or two.  Rather have the ambients than the tunes.  But corded to the charger port is an option.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »

This is the main reason I have not gone to a BT headset.  Have considered carrying an extra battery and charging in the tour-pac to swap out at gas stops.
Spada84
NoSofa!

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

I have been playing with this for over a year now, just playing, I do not thing I will develop it any further. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is the cost and the second and most important reason is the battery life of the helmet Bluetooth device. The battery life of most of the Bluetooth devices that I have tested will last 10 to 15 hours in standby mode, which is good. The problem comes when you start streaming audio, once you start that then the battery will only last about 5 hours or less depending on what type of battery is being used in the helmet Bluetooth device. This is a very big drawback to me and I think in the end it will be a major drawback to most riders. If I sell something I want it to perform and even though I can build the dongle which uses bike power so that is not a problem it will not work all day because of the helmet Bluetooth battery. What good is it if you have to stop and charge your helmet every 4 to 5 hours. The battery in my IPhone is 10 times as large as the battery's I have found for use in a helmet Bluetooth device and my phone battery will go bye bye in about 6 hours if I stream audio from it.

www.hdbomm.com

Jim
Thanks for pointing this out, Jim!  This has been my mantra to my riding buddy who makes fun of my headset cord.  If a person only does short trips then bluetooth might be a decent option.  Those of use who don't hesitate to go spend 8 hours on the bike for the fun of it will get very irritated during the second half of the ride when our helmet battery is dead!  I'd rather plug in and have a relatively stone reliable connection.
Big Lew
IBA #595

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 25 queries.