Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RC rotor problem - help please  (Read 827 times)

DOOFUS

RC rotor problem - help please
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »

Riders - I am NOT a floating rotor expert - I bet there are smart people on here ref floating rotors.  Here is what is happening:

- yesterday I had the Santa provided RC rotors and wheels installed at the dealer by a long time trusted tech
- the floating rotors by RC DO NOT ACCEPT HD bolts - I did not know at purchase
- so the tech had to lathe the chrome HD bolts to fit - one hour labor I did not count on
- the rotors "wiggle" between carrier & disk - IS THAT THE FLOATING?
- one rotor does not wiggle - one does
- the front brake pulses now - did not before

Can you guys educate me about floating rotors?
I'll be contacting RC about the bolt issue & the pulsing issue.

Thnx in advance, DOOF
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:53:34 AM by DOOFUS »

DOOFUS

Re: RC rotor problem - help please
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »

Here's the nitro wheel & rotor set up - I was looking for a rotor cut that matched the HD uppers cut - I think its pretty close.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »

DOOFUS, If you have any pulsing there is something wrong. bad rotor, improper install or a piece of dirt/crap
between the rotor and wheel. get it checked quick. looks good by the way.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »

AXIL is most likely right in something being stuck in your rotor causing it to not "float" The term floating rotor by the way comes from the fact that unlike brake rotors which are a solid one piece unit, floating rotors are made from two flat pieces of steel and a handful of bushings. The part of the rotor which contacts the caliper "floats" (moves around) on bushings while the center section is bolted solidly to your wheel. The intent of this is to allow the rotor to center itself in the caliper at all times giving you an even and hence better braking surface as well as much better wear factor on your brake pads. The idea has proven itself to work incredibly well and these have been around for many years.
If you do your own work, I would strongly urge you disassemble the whole works and start over again checking and double checking each step as shown in the H-D shop manual. If you still have issues once you've done that my guess would be that there's an issue with your ABS (IF you have ABS)
Good Luck !

B B
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:15:14 AM by Spiderman »

DOOFUS

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »

Very helpful my friend - thanks for the info.  Did not do the work myself but my long time trusted tech did - I have texted him and I'm sure we'll take a look this week -- in the meantime I have reached out via email to RC.  Will keep you informed,

AXIL is most likely right in something being stuck in your rotor causing it to not "float" The term floating rotor by the way comes from the fact that unlike brake rotors which are a solid one piece unit, floating rotors are made from two flat pieces of steel and a handful of bushings. The part of the rotor which contacts the caliper "floats" (moves around) on bushings while the center section is bolted solidly to your wheel. The intent of this is to allow the rotor to center itself in the caliper at all times giving you an even and hence better braking surface as well as much better wear factor on your brake pads. The idea has proven itself to work incredibly well and these have been around for many years.
If you do your own work, I would strongly urge you disassemble the whole works and start over again checking and double checking each step as shown in the H-D shop manual. If you still have issues once you've done that my guess would be that there's an issue with your ABS (IF you have ABS)
Good Luck !

B B

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:21:52 AM »

I installed a very similiar set yesterday for a friend.  No issues what so ever.  I agree with everything that was said above.

Beyond what was said, I would also be concerned about the bolts, did he actuall machine them down enough, do they fit the rotor properly.  I used thebolts that came with the Rotor & Wheel.  I am surprised yours did not come with the correct bolts.

A pulsing typically comes because a rotor is warped, bent, not flat on the hub.  It would not typically be the ABS.

As said, I would pull the calipers off and use a dial indicator & check runout on the calipers.  That will tell you if one of them is bent, warped, etc.

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

DOOFUS

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »

Thnx pal -- TUE or WED I'll be getting to the tech at the dealer -- just texted with him and he agrees with you on what to check.  Thnx again

I installed a very similiar set yesterday for a friend.  No issues what so ever.  I agree with everything that was said above.

Beyond what was said, I would also be concerned about the bolts, did he actuall machine them down enough, do they fit the rotor properly.  I used thebolts that came with the Rotor & Wheel.  I am surprised yours did not come with the correct bolts.

A pulsing typically comes because a rotor is warped, bent, not flat on the hub.  It would not typically be the ABS.

As said, I would pull the calipers off and use a dial indicator & check runout on the calipers.  That will tell you if one of them is bent, warped, etc.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.